Frequent Contributor

Re: House insurance big jump $$

[ Edited ]

Our Allstate H.O.'s ins went up $18 for the year and we never filed a claim nor do we live in CA and our credit rating is over 700.  You bet I'm steamed.  I don't like paying for CA sorry but I don't, especially due to the revelation that they are as wealthy as a country and seem to think they could secede from the union.  So do it already!  Oh but 1st Ca you have to do this:

The 1869 Supreme Court case Texas v. White (Texas! Always Texas.) determined that the secession was never actually a real thing in the eyes of the federal government. ... There's no right to secede and no process to secede -- but if you secede and then beat the U.S. militarily, the dynamic changes.

Ha!  

Honored Contributor

I'll take that 18.00 increase ! 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE

Sorry sharke....never meant to diminish your pain.  I'm steamed too. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ours stayed about the same.

Before we changed to the insurance we have now though, it doubled one year. We hadn't had any claims. I started calling around and found one that was about half the price. We have had a claim on it, (damage from a bad storm) and had no problems with them paying.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

just hope we don't get another surprise when we get the car insurance bill !

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE  Insure both your car(s) and home with the same company for the best rates. Also, pay yearly premiums if possible. If that's not possible, go for six months. No less. Those monthly premiums will eat up your savings in no time. Another savings, is to increase the deductible.

Since all insurance companies will be affected by the wildfires, we may all see increases due to those insurance claims. IDK. It's a possibility.

My vehicle insurance has already gone sky-high thanks to the woman who hit me . . . even though it wasn't my fault. I've replaced my car with a new vehicle, which is worth more than my previous car (which was a fine one)! Yet, as soon as it was driven out of the Dealership is already worth less (depreciation happens immediately). Go figure.  Bummer!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

yeah, we started out with both policies bundled and we always pay all at once, but, can't remember why we dropped the car insurance and went to another company for just the car.

I'll see Mon. what is out there. Hopefully, since we're seniors we will get some kind of insurance discount.

Regular Contributor

Insurance company actuaries know how to spread  the pain sround for any losses they suffer.  We are all paying for the fires, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and the sinking stock market.  Insurance Companies don't lose money.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Ours went up 1,000 did anybody else's go up a huge amount?

We're changing policies. I wonder if it has to do with the Cal. fires

Has to be some kind of catastrophe driven event.

@SharkE we just (all of sudden after 20 years) had the insurance company show up and want to take pictures of the home...thinking it is there way of seeing what improvements have been made so they can raise the rates...and like you if that happens I will bid them out and move to another company.  I am sure the storms and other natural disasters have caused them to pay out more than they anticipated but that is their problem...we paid premiums for over 20 years and only had one claim for the roof after 2 storms passed through Georgia.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@SharkE  I agree, between insurance and taxes, you can't get ahead when you are older and retired.

One thing that really rattles my cage is that if your credit score is low, they can charge you a higher rate.  I don't get this at all.

So, if you are poor or have a low income and having trouble paying bills on time, they charge you more.  Those people have a hard time to begin with without adding insult to injury.

I agree, but it's all about the risk.