Esteemed Contributor

Re: House insurance big jump $$

Agree w/Sharke - big disasters - ins co always say increase in YOUR premium due to pay-outs to other areas.  At least that's the excuse they use!   Perhaps for CEO & President's bonus.....we'll never know.

My ins co was noted on a bank paper - and the Asst to Bank Manager said - oh, that's my insurance co (a state wide one) too.  Shop around!  Yes, I work with an ins agent too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have State Farm.  Our homeowners went up last year quite a bit.  We have never made a claim.  Reason..Was told our home is now 30 years old and not new any more.

We also are supposed to get discounts because we insure,

4 cars

2 boats

2 RV's

home

plus have life insurance

We got a $30 redund  on an overpayment because one of our policies went down...don't remember which one.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

No, Tx.

I heard that it doesn't matter if you live in the same state or not that can affect premiums if the Co. has to spend out huge amounts for disasters

I don't know about Texas but most states have legislative control over insurance rates.  In most cases the insurance companies ask for increases well above what they expect to be authorized.

ETA:  Texas insurance companies also took huge hits because of Harvey.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Ours went up 1,000 did anybody else's go up a huge amount?

We're changing policies. I wonder if it has to do with the Cal. fires

Has to be some kind of catastrophe driven event.

NO.

Honored Contributor

Well, hopefully, on Mon. we can get some answers and get new policy.

That's outlandish. Husband almost fell over. LOL

He's almost 70 and still working part-time. Poor fellow guess they don't want you to retire, ever.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE  I agree, between insurance and taxes, you can't get ahead when you are older and retired.

One thing that really rattles my cage is that if your credit score is low, they can charge you a higher rate.  I don't get this at all.

So, if you are poor or have a low income and having trouble paying bills on time, they charge you more.  Those people have a hard time to begin with without adding insult to injury.

Honored Contributor

Yep, in the current state of affairs I don't foresee any relief in sight.

You do your best and hope it doesn't get any worse. All I can say without

getting banned.

I'll report back, Mon. hopefully with good news. We have enough sense to know everything will go up, but, not a thousand bucks ! 

Honored Contributor

house insurance goes up yearly here. It is car insurance in my state that went off the charts for everyone this year.  

Some kind of obscure law was passed (which was never announced to any person living in my state) that we, the people who pay car insurance now have to pay for all the accidents, road repairs, people WHO DO NOT HAVE car insurance that cause car insurance rates to sky rocket. We pay for people who don’t have car insurance and still drive cars.

Our rates went from $1300 per year to near $2000.00 for 2 cars full coverage on both. We had to find new car insurance. We found car insurance with USAA (my husband is retired military—which really helped us) we have rates at a desent price once again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Funny, you would mention that I just came across that name and the other company that is for non military. AMICA Mutual,  something like that.

Happy it turned out well for you. Hopefully, I'll get a better deal.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I remember living up in Ind and ours jumped because of the Fl. hurricanes had to do with the price of lumber to rebuild in those areas.

We purposely stay away from ocean areas and we still get hit ! Gees !

You live in Texas. 

Hurricane Harvey hit Texas catastrophically. 

It's not a big stretch to see Texas getting a big hit on homeowner's insurance.