Honored Contributor

Re: House insurance big jump $$

Thanks !

Amarillo, Tx

Think  the insurance company just passed a heavy increase to make up for losses. Only water we have in the high plains is if it rains a 1/8th of an inch in a tea cup.

One reason we moved here from Ind. didn't want to live by oceans no matter where they were located Tx or Florida or Cal.

Honored Contributor

Your 

@kivah wrote:

That is highway robbery. I live in southern Calif. and I have Mercury Insurance thru an agent, who's office is in Camarillo. I have homeowners and auto thru them and I have a $2,500 deductible for my homeowners. Having an agent means he/she can check around for the insurance company that fits u best. It's cheaper to have homeowners and auto with the same company. I just paid my homeowners insurance for February, 2019 to February, 2020 for $718. I have a 4 bedroom/3 bath 2-story house, 2000 sq ft. in Oxnard, CA. If u live in or near ventura county, let me know. Sandy

Your $718 is great compared to my price. So is your deductible. I live in Florida and I’m envious. Even with the fires, seems like California insurance is much lower than my $5000 insurance premium with a deductible of 7% of my home’s value per claim. This is with an exemplary credit score and no claims. It’s also with a cement tile hipped roof and concrete block construction in a gated community with very low crime.

Honored Contributor

I am in West Virginia and just paid ours; $700 for a year, with State Farm.   We had our policy reviewed and adjusted a few years ago when my SIL experienced a fire, so our policy fits our needs.   

We do get a multi policy discount, as well as a discount based on being 5 miles from the fire department that has a specific rating, plus we have a fire hydrant within 200 ft of our property.   We also get a discount for our alarm system that has heat detectors and sensors.   We also get a discount for upgrades to our heating, plumbing, electrical and roofing since the house was built.   

Honored Contributor

$1,700 for us and that’s with a huge deductible. 4 bedroom, 3 bath house and full unfinished basement. 

We’ve got some extras added on- earthquake insurance, max on the jewelry allowance and one other thing that I can’t remember. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?