Honored Contributor

Re: House Heat: How Low Can You Go?

This area of southern WV dropped into the lower 30's last night, and our inside temp right now is 66.   I will turn the heat on tonight.  My husband has poor circulation, and our current inside temperature is as low as he can go before the complaints start.       

Honored Contributor

We have not had our home furnace on for over 7 Nebraska Winters now. Use a portable heater in the master bedroom, and have an AC/Heat Unit in our 4 season patio room. Temp in patio room is never over 65° when heater is turned to "On". At night I set it at 55°, that is where I sleep in my lounge chair.

When I go into a room anywhere I can immediately feel the temperature is over 72°. Way too hot for me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Mtc, Please know that your kindness is deeply appreciated & I wish you all the best as well.

Honored Contributor

When I went home a little bit ago, my house is 66 so it hasn't warmed up much.  I'm hoping with the afternoon sun hitting the back of the house, that will change.    

Respected Contributor

We typically set the heat at 68 to come on in the winter between 5am to 7am so it takes the chill off while getting ready for work.  

The rest of the time in colder months we run our fireplace to heat the main living areas in the house.   But the heat from the fireplace doesn't reach our master bath so it's pretty cold in the mornings while showering if we don't put the furnace on too.  

Even though it was 59 outside this morning our house has not cooled down enough yet to need the heat on.    We are expecting to hit 80 this afternoon.....so house will be plenty warm .. in fact the A/C will run this evening once we are home.  

Esteemed Contributor

No lower than 68.
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

My heat has been used occassionally since August, lol.  I don't like the household temp to get lower than 76/77 degrees.  At 75, I'm freezing.

@Bird mama. Wow! That is pretty toasty!   

Honored Contributor

I keep my house at 65 during the day and 60 during the night.most people are cold at my house so I keep a supply of fleece throws for them to cozy up in.My DH always teases me "I am working so why can't we have heat"I once read that your metabolism works better in a colder environment and since that time my heat has been down.I noticed that some of you like an even colder house so you have inspired me to try lowering that thermostat again.

Trusted Contributor

I pretty much keep the thermostat at 70 all winter. I'm home during the day, so I just keep it that way day and night. My hubby would probably like it a little cooler, but he really doesn't complain.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bri20 wrote:

My downstairs is reading 64 right now. 

I don't usually turn on the heat until it gets into the 40s outside - maybe in the morning just to take the chill out.  I hate putting the heat on...

THis is us! We don't turn the heat on here until it gets into the mid to low 40's for the HIGH temp for the day. Even then, we play a little game and see how far into the season we can get. 

And when we do turn the heat on for the winter, it gets set at 60 and left there unless the cold goes below zero, then we bump it up to 65 and maybe run some Duraflames along with it. 

I know we all live in different climates, but 70 degrees here is a nice warm temperature, and we have all the windows and doors open when it is that nice out. Can't imagine needing heat at those temps!

edited to add:

We have electric baseboard heat, with a thermostat in each room. Some rooms don't get any heat at all during the winter (unless around zero) and I simply let the heat from other rooms keep them warm enough, as they aren't used. 

I love this zone heating, choosing to keep some rooms off, some cool, some warmer and all depending on the weather, who's in the rooms and what we are doing.