Respected Contributor

Re: House Heat: How Low Can You Go?

I'm 65, live in MI & keep the heat at 55. I've done this for several years now so use to it, another adjustment in lifestyle since losing pension. I know lots of you can relate to working a lifetime & losing your retirement.

Honored Contributor

During the day 72 to 75 depending on the temp outside. At night 65. Our house is very well insulated and we have thermal windows. We just like it cozy

Respected Contributor

My house is three levels - it takes forever to get it up to 64 degrees in the winter.  I bundle up, the dogs have their own covers and comforters in their beds.  I try to keep the heat off at night and leave a small heater on in the bedroom only.  I refuse to heat the house all night long unless I think the pipes will freeze.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I'm 65, live in MI & keep the heat at 55. I've done this for several years now so use to it, another adjustment in lifestyle since losing pension. I know lots of you can relate to working a lifetime & losing your retirement.

@kitcat51 I am so sorry this happened to you.  It's just so wrong to work a lifetime and then lose the benefits you thought you were accumulating.  Please know I wish you the very best.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

coco14 wrote:

I am so pleased to see that I am in good company!  I live in the Northeast and love the cold weather - so, I am most comfortable with temps inside in the low 60's - but I have friends who think I am crazy and who set their temps in the high70's, day and night.

Thank you to those who feel as I do - 

I'm with you, Coco!   I love the cold.  I absolutely abhor the heat.  If it is below 60 I'm happy.  If it is even colder, I'm way more happy.  Smiley Happy

I visited my father and his wife one January.  They live in a fairly mild climate.  It was NOT at all cold while I was there. She kept the heat at 78-80 around the clock.  It was truly nauseating.   Needless to say, I was sick much of the time.   Nauseating is actually not an exaggeration.  I was literally nauseated most of the time I was in that house.

I felt like I was in a bacteria factory.

Honored Contributor

@coco14 wrote:

I am so pleased to see that I am in good company!  I live in the Northeast and love the cold weather - so, I am most comfortable with temps inside in the low 60's - but I have friends who think I am crazy and who set their temps in the high70's, day and night.

Thank you to those who feel as I do - 

@coco14 please make more room on the I love cooler weather bench . . . I live in the suburbs of Chicago and right now both of my bedroom windows are WIDE open all day and night . . . I turn the heat on in the morning when I have breakfast but it stays off the rest of the day.  When I come down in the morning the thermostat reads 57 and I turn it up to 60 just to take the chill out of the house and I find it comfortable for the rest of the day.  When the truly cold weather sets in, I usually run the thermostat at 60-62 as that is plenty for me . . . I have to get my mileage out of my Cuddl Duds . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

At night my thermostat is set at 50. Daytime it's set at 60. 

It's generally not a good idea to set the thermostat greater than a ten-degree difference between the high and the low if you are trying to save money on your heating cost. By doing this, it causes your heater to work extra, overtime to re-heat your home. Best to not set the thermostat greater than a ten-degree drop from your daytime temperature.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

The living room is set on 70 but I've always got my electric throw over me.  The bedroom is  set on 65 as I like a cooler room for sleeping and I'm snuggled under my down comforter.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor

Programmable thermostat is set @ 68 degrees, heat came on around 4am for first time..

we had some insulation installed this year, so hopefully will see some lower electric bills.

Honored Contributor

I'm in Austin and didn't turn the central heat on at all last winter. I do have two space heaters, one in the living room and one in the bedroom, and did use those instead. I also bought a Sunbeam Comfy Toes mattress topper, which just covers the foot of the bed, keeping my feet from freezing. I turn that on high about 30 minutes before I go to bed, then shut it off or set it on low when I get into bed. Best $25 I spent last year. 

Central heat runs all winter at work and it drys out my nasal passages and my eyes, especially because I have to increase my use of antihistamines over the winter due to the cedar pollen.I try very hard to keep it off at home. Even with humidifiers running, central heat just dries me right out, causing nose bleeds and requiring the use of moisturizing eye drops.