Honored Contributor

Re: House Heat: How Low Can You Go?

My heat has been used occassionally since August, lol.  I don't like the household temp to get lower than 76/77 degrees.  At 75, I'm freezing.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I live in an apartment and don't regulate my heat and management keeps the building quite warm.  Heat rises and I'm on a high (10th) floor.   It's always toasty in winter.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Heater: How Low Can You Go?

I use the heat as little as possible.  In the winter, I turn it off around noon. Overnight, the indoor temperature has gotten as low as upper 40's.  In the morning, I turn it back on, to 60 or 62. It's brisk but we manage with warm clothes.  Plus, baking and cooking warms the kitchen a bit.

Honored Contributor

My ac was still going on and off on Saturday.

Yesterday, I turned it off and opened the windows.  I was cleaning so I was warm but once I sat down, it was chilly with them open and I noticed my house was 66.

We've already had temps in the upper 40's at night.  Today is only supposed to be 58 and it's supposed to go down to mid-40's.  Once it gets to about 62 inside, I'll turn the heat on just to take the chill out then I shut the heat back off. 

I keep my heat set on 68. 

Valued Contributor

We keep our house at 75 all year.  I freeze at work, freeze at church, freeze at the grocery store.  I will not freeze in my own house unless I can't pay the heating bill.  

Honored Contributor

Right now, it looks like it's reading 66*.  (I don't seem to have a degree sign on this laptop.)   Anyway, I'm used to this indoor temperature.  I have a few Holmes portable electric fan heaters and use only those unless it's 'freezing'.   This house keeps cool, so it might be warmer outdoors.  (I usually have to actually go outdoors to find out what to wear for the day, to avoid being overly warm all bundled in fleece, lol.) 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I keep the heat at 59 during the day and 57 at night.   That works well for us.  If I get cool I can put on long sleeves.

I would be sick as a dog with the heat running in the 70s!  People must be running around nekkid to keep it that high.  hehe Smiley Happy

But I don't keep the a/c that low.   59 with the heat running is a lot different than 59 with the a/c running!  I keep the ac at around 72-73 during the day and 67-68 at night.   Since my bdrm is closed off it gets a lot cooler than that, and that is what I need for nighttime.  If it's not much below 60 in my bdrm I have to also have my fan running.  In the winter I close my bdrm off from the heat entirely.   Needs to be COLD in there!  I add an extra blanket in winter.

Frequent Contributor

I shut the AC off yesterday for the first time since April. Opened all the windows since it was in the 50's in the morning and went to the mid 80's in the afternoon. The humidity is gone for now. That makes all the difference for us in TX.  Today is going to be the same. We ususally don't put the heat on unless it gets in the 30's.  

Valued Contributor

I am so pleased to see that I am in good company!  I live in the Northeast and love the cold weather - so, I am most comfortable with temps inside in the low 60's - but I have friends who think I am crazy and who set their temps in the high70's, day and night.

Thank you to those who feel as I do - 

Respected Contributor

Well, in Minnesota it truly depends on the weather! My husband says I am not comfortable unless it's 71 or 72 degrees!

The downstairs runs 66 year round it seems, up stairs is generally 68. We sometimes bump it up to take a chill off as we live near water!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield