Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hotel duvet covers are rarely washed between customers. Time to change this.

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Mindy D 

Not really sure what a duvet cover actually might be. At 1 time I thought it was a partial pillow cover, unlike a pillow case. Now I am not sure after seeing different descriptions  looking on google. 

Either way I am not concerned about what they do at hotels. The few times in recent years we have stayed in a hotel, I made sure the room had a recliner. If not, that hotel was checked off the list. A bed to me is akin to a torture chamber, and that has nothing to do with spreading any infection.

When I was sleeping in a bed, I was also traveling around the Midwest auto racing, and did stay in mostly motels. Since I had/have a cervical problem, I always took my own pillow, with pillow case.

My wife takes her pillow to every home she goes to in her Pet Sitting business. That is for a similar reason.

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn  a duvet cover is like a large pillowcase that can fit a comforter or a quilt. I prevents the comforter or quilt from getting dirty. Some of them have a zipper or ties to keep the comforter inside.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hotel duvet covers are rarely washed between customers. Time to change this.

Maybe we're just lucky but DH and I have been traveling all over the world for more then 45 years and we have never had a "cleanliness" problem with a hotel room.  If people think of everything that might go wrong and/or cause sickness--a duvet cover???--then they should stay home where everything is clean and sanitary???!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

Maybe we're just lucky but DH and I have been traveling all over the world for more then 45 years and we have never had a "cleanliness" problem with a hotel room.  If people think of everything that might go wrong and/or cause sickness--a duvet cover???--then they should stay home where everything is clean and sanitary???!!!!

@kaydee50 -  With everything that has gone on in the past 2 and a half years, you can't blame people for being concerned about germs.  

Respected Contributor

Have not seen duvets on any hotels where we have stayed. Recently the trend is using a flat spread on top and a printed or jacquard decorative folded narrow blanket on the foot of the bed. They were all in top-tier hotels. I guess quicker for housekeeping to change out than dealing with duvets.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

My sentiments exactly!  I am no longer comfortable traveling; prefer to cook my own food and sleep in my own bed.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop Yes!  And how I used to love it!

Honored Contributor

We will be traveling soon. All the hotels we've been in for the last decade don't use bedspreads or quilts. It's comforters with duvet covers. Have no idea how frequently they are laundered (often, I hope).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG @Call the hotel way ahead. There is an outbreak of an illness going on right now. The hotels should be changing these washable outer covers between customers, just as they do their sheets and pillow cases. You don't need to be scared, since the risk is very low, of catching the illness this way, and right now, there are not many cases. If there's a comfortable chair in the room, I'd ask maid service for an extra flat sheet and throw it over the chair. 

Honored Contributor

This is nothing new about hotel rooms and how clean or unclean they are.

There have been responses from people who are aware of how well (or not) rooms are kept.

I've seen maids throw the blankets/comforters on the floor when they put clean sheets on the bed.  I don't do that in my own home and my floors are clean.

I've seen on the news and expose shows how contaminated the TV remote alone can be.  And when a sign in the bathroom says to throw your dirty towels on the floor so they know to change them out, I could gag.  If the remote is filthy, but doesn't look it, how bad do you think the bathroom floor is?

Yeah, I'm a germaphobe and have been long before Covid and Monkeypox and the next time Typhoid rolls around...lol.  I'm not ashamed of it, so don't think you're dinging my feelings...lol

I love to go away and am fortunate that I have family up and down this coast and a home to go to on the other coast.  So I'm not a *shut in*.  But sometimes, it's getting from point A to point B that skeeves me out.

Honored Contributor

The white duvets are used widely and I doubt that these are not freshly laundered.  They are white and most any staining would show up.  

That taco thing, @Lucky Charm?  Do you only stay one night wherever you go?  I would think it would be contaminated by the sheets it is on.