Honored Contributor

Re: Hotel duvet covers are rarely washed between customers. Time to change this.

I haven't traveled in several years.  But the last time I did it was by car and I packed my own can of lysol and wipes to clean things with.  When we got to the room -- which was at a very nice hotel --- I told DH -- don't lay down on the bedspread to rest or nap -- I immediately folded it up and laid it off on one of the unused chairs.  I then went around the room and started wiping all the surfaces off with the wipes and spraying all around the room with the lysol.  I also brought paper cups to use instead of the provided glasses.  Maybe some of this was not necessary but I felt better afterwards!!!  Who knows any more??? 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Hotel duvet covers are rarely washed between customers. Time to change this.

The last time we stayed in a motel we brought our sleeping bags and slept in those.

Respected Contributor

Do you go barefoot? Woman LOL If I have to stay in a hotel, I never walk barefoot in the room. I bring crocs or something easy to slip on. 

I use disinfectant wipes on everything....remote, phone, fridge, microwave, desk, door handles...

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Mindy D  - were you talking about monkeypox in regards to catching it from used sheets?

@San Antonio Gal   @Mindy D   I am interested in knowing this, too, as I am going out of town in a couple of weeks.

I know the H and H hotels must be Hyatt and Hilton, but wasn't sure about the disease.  I don't understand not naming the illness.   The post won't be deleted for naming hotels and illnesses.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack @Call your hotel ahead and speak with management. The hotel might have started washing duvet covers during the pandemic. I don't know how the ones with comforters handle theirs. Some places have switched to using a flat top sheet cover and a second top sheet to sandwich a blanket in between. They can wash the sandwich sheets even if they don't wash the blanket. One of my hotels was an Inn within an H. I have no idea how often they wash theirs. Mine were all white cotton. One thing is for sure, the places with bedspreads or highly embellished, decorative comforters are not washing  between every customer. 

Don't be too worried. Buy some cheap white flat sheets and cheap pillows and cases and throw these over everything if you're not sure. The chances of picking up this illness from hotel bedding is low. I just think it's time hotels make it a habit of cleaning these things between customers. Some might have started during the pandemic.

Bring a plastic bag to put over the remote and wear gloves and wipe down all the switches, tops of furniture. Bring plenty of socks or wear shoes. Most hotels had been taking precautions because of COVID, but what they do now is something to ask about.

It is was me, I'd spray Lysol on all the bathrooms surfaces, lights switches, doors and their handles, in room phones, anything else I could think of. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@NickNack @Call your hotel ahead and speak with management. The hotel might have started washing duvet covers during the pandemic. I don't know how the ones with comforters handle theirs. Some places have switched to using a flat top sheet cover and a second top sheet to sandwich a blanket in between. They can wash the sandwich sheets even if they don't wash the blanket. One of my hotels was an Inn within an H. I have no idea how often they wash theirs. Mine were all white cotton. One thing is for sure, the places with bedspreads or highly embellished, decorative comforters are not washing  between every customer. 

Don't be too worried. Buy some cheap white flat sheets and cheap pillows and cases and throw these over everything if you're not sure. The chances of picking up this illness from hotel bedding is low. I just think it's time hotels make it a habit of cleaning these things between customers. Some might have started during the pandemic.

Bring a plastic bag to put over the remote and wear gloves and wipe down all the switches, tops of furniture. Bring plenty of socks or wear shoes. Most hotels had been taking precautions because of COVID, but what they do now is something to ask about.

It is was me, I'd spray Lysol on all the bathrooms surfaces, lights switches, doors and their handles, in room phones, anything else I could think of. 

If @NickNack  has to do all of this to her room she might as well get a job at the hotel as a housekeeper.

Esteemed Contributor

If I'm driving, of course I would take sheets and pillows and what ever would make me feel comfortable. A can of Lysol spray or a can of Microban.

I wouldn't bother to buy sheets and what not if I'm flying unless you don't mind sleeping on unwashed sheets that have fallen on the floors in the factory and touched by everyone. Where would someone wash the new sheets? I washed everything before using them at home, I was raised that way so that just didn't start two years ago.

Valued Contributor

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! This is just one more reason I dislike hotels.

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover : We did not go barefoot.

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover 

Yes -- same here!  Never walk barefoot in the a hotel room!!!  And all things -- remote controls, phone, door handles, everything -- wiped!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin