Honored Contributor

Hotel duvet covers are rarely washed between customers. Time to change this.

On more than one occasion, I have read articles written by employees telling little secrets about the industries they work in. I've read quite a few about the hotel industry in which employees have mentioned that hotels don't usually wash those white cotton duvet covers between customers.

Right now, there's an on going rise in an infection that can be transmitted from a sufferer onto their bedding and then the bedding can transfer the germs from the illness to others.

Travelers, ask your hotel to use a freshly cleaned duvet cover, long before you get there. The germ can easily be killed in the wash with chlorine bleach and water or with one of the new Oxi Cleans. There are others. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Hotel duvet covers are rarely washed between customers. Time to change this.

I don't think I've ever been in a hotel or motel that used duvets.  They're such hassle to get on a comforter that I can see why.  They also surely don't clean bed spreads or comforters between guests.  How about blankets?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Hotel duvet covers are rarely washed between customers. Time to change this.

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 @Every hotel I've been to in recent years had white cotton duvet covers on their beds. The hotels provide clean sheets and pillowcases and the white duvet covers LOOK clean, but they are rarely changed according to the confessions I've read from the hotel workers. These include major hotel chains but all were in Florida cities. Sometimes the hotels do use light weight white blankets instead. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'll sidestep the germ discussion and say I sleep between the flat and fitted sheets. Some hotels like Westin use a 3rd sheet.

Nicer hotels usually have a laundered blanket in a zippered bag in the closet. You can always ask the front desk to bring a 2nd, laundered blanket to your room. 

Frequent Contributor

That clearly us untrue of major hotels serving business customers.  I traveled extensively for business and was a member of Hilton's Concierge, Weston as well as Marriott.  ALL bedding was striped and washed.  Also I've never see duvet/duvet covers in any of the years I stayed at those hotels.  EVERYTHING is flat bedding.

Frequent Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Kachina624 @Every hotel I've been to in recent years had white cotton duvet covers on their beds. The hotels prove clean sheets and pillowcases and the white duvet covers LOOK clean, but they are rarely changed according to the confessions I've read from the hotel workers. These include major hotel chains but all were in Florida cities. Sometimes the hotels do use light weight white blankets instead. 

Curious, which hotels?

Honored Contributor

I am glad my traveling days are behind me.  To much to worry about for the elderly like me!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SEGardener wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Kachina624 @Every hotel I've been to in recent years had white cotton duvet covers on their beds. The hotels prove clean sheets and pillowcases and the white duvet covers LOOK clean, but they are rarely changed according to the confessions I've read from the hotel workers. These include major hotel chains but all were in Florida cities. Sometimes the hotels do use light weight white blankets instead. 

Curious, which hotels?

@@ Two were chains with names starting with Hs. I'm not saying that these chains didn't wash their duvet covers...I have no way of knowing for sure. These were pre pandemic. Another chain starting with M. A boutique hotel on the Gulf near Clearwater Beach. At least one removed the stuffing duvet and just left the duvet cover. I don't know how the bedding was handled at the height of the pandemic, but I see the rom adds now and those white covers are on all the beds. I can't see close enough to tell if they are duvet covers or not. As far as I'm concerned, all bedding should be cleaned between customers. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't think I've ever been in a hotel or motel that used duvets.  They're such hassle to get on a comforter that I can see why.  They also surely don't clean bed spreads or comforters between guests.  How about blankets?

havent seen a blanket on a bed in ages in hotels.

no bedspreads either.

i have seen blankets in plastic covers in the closet in hotels, but rarely  use those.

only see duvet covers on a quilt.....with sheets.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I travel a lot, I never stayed in a hotel that used duvets.  Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  Saying "hotels" is silly anywaying considering that there are millions of hotels that range from the cheapest of the cheap to so expensive only the wealthy can afford them.  Are you putting them all in the same basket?