Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Pimento loaf. My dad loved the stuff so we had 2 slices on white bread for lunch several times a week, I despised it as a kid & still do, ugh...Braunschweiger too.

For those who loved it and still do, if you don't see it in the store a good substitute is some sort of lunch meat or ham sandwich and just add olive slices!  I like to stick them on the mayo on a ham sandwich! 

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I remember every food court in every mall in Newfoundland had a fried cod tongue vendor. I would get in line but then change my mind.

Also fried brains and eggs here in the US a long time ago.

@PickyPicky3 

This must mean something other than the tongues of little cod fish.  Their tongues are maybe one half inch long, so it doesn't seem like a very substantial snack.  Am I correct?

So ....  what is a friend cod tongue?  

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl   "I loved the Tasty Kakes brand of lunchbox snacks. My favorite ones were Jelly Krimpets and Peanut Butter cakes."  

My father was a Tasty Kake routeman.  I grew up on Tasty Kakes!!!!!!!!  My "Krimpette" nickname was a play on Tasty Kake Krimpets.  (The name "Krimpet" was already taken.  Good stuff, those Tasty Kakes!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I just had a Hebrew National Quarter Pound chili cheese dog and Tater Tots for lunch.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   Atlantic cod are BIG fish, but remember I never actually ate this.  If you Google fried cod tongues, there's a lot of interesting info.

I also want to put in my two cents about visiting Newfoundland. I've never been anywhere else where telling good jokes is a required part of daily life. Friendly people, great music in the pubs. Low population density.

Valued Contributor

What was the point in this???

Respected Contributor

@PhillyGirl23  What was the point in what?  This thread?

Honored Contributor

@PhillyGirl23 wrote:

What was the point in this???

@PhillyGirl23,

I don't know why but your post struck me as so funny! I am still laughing. I'm trying hard not to read much of most of this thread, just skimmingthru, because I don't want details😑, 

and then come across your post which is so unlike any of the others.

Oh you know how so many things just strike you as funny all of a sudden?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

@J Town Girl It's funny you mentioned Tasty Kakes.  My mom was from PA and she used to go on and on about Tasty Kakes. We didn't have them here in CT (we had Drake's and Hostess) so when we would go out to PA to visit her family, she'd send me to the store to buy boxes and boxes of Tasty Kakes. Her favorite was the Butterscotch Krimpets.  I thought they were okay. I guess it's what you grow up eating. To this day, I will kill your for a Ring Ding 🤣

Valued Contributor
I almost bought Lebanon bologna yesterday! I'm in PA. Scrapple I haven't ever tried or wanted to eat, but do eat regular bologna & hot dogs on occasion.