Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts placing their orders on the air

On 4/20/2014 brewhaha said:

I run to the phone everytime they say it.

Me too and order multiple orders of the item...if they want it...I gotta have it!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

It's a sales tactic that is suppose to make you run to the phone. I run the other way. Hosts go to meetings & see the products days or weeks before presenting.

Super Contributor

On 4/20/2014 Yuban3 said:
On 4/20/2014 stilltamn8r said:

Oh come on! No one really believes/falls for that, do they?

Of course some people fall for it. Haven't you heard on the phone calls, the caller just positively gushing and fawning all over the host?

"Oh Lisa! You're my favorite!"

So, I have no doubt that there are some people out there, who, when they hear the host "place an order", suddenly feel compelled to have one too, just because the host "has one".

My actual viewing of QVC is limited to kitchen shows, so I guess I haven't seen it- The older ladies DO gush over David, though-I think they like to imagine he is THEIR son..

I AM in sales, though, and cannot even imagine using any tactic like that- Poof! there goes your credibility...

Trusted Contributor

It is a sales tactic pure and simple. It is no different from a sales person in a department store telling you that they have an item or are getting it themselves or a car salesman telling you that he bought the same model for his wife. It is a way to generate interest, and this sort of tactic does "hook" a lot of people.

Of course the hosts know what they will be showing in advance. They have to prepare, and no item is a "surprise," so they could clearly order early (if they do not have a sample, for instance). Additionally, this was addressed years ago by Kathy Levine who revealed, in an interview, who indicated that customer orders process before employees. In this case, there would be no advantage to a host ordering an item on air -- even in "sell out quantities.

Super Contributor

I think it's tacky when the hosts do that. They have the product info ahead of time and they can order new items before we ever see them!

Honored Contributor

I'd be willing to bet that this tactic works on more people than most of us here would realize. QVC television (as well as other shopping channels) attracts a lot of people who are not shopping or electronics savvy.

There was a 2 hour gold show recently with Antonella. She had this one pair of earrings that I thought were absolutely divine (too bad they were that resin-filled qrap) and, very obviously, so did Antonella. She kept mentioning to somebody off-camera to order these for her. Then, they sold out and she started with 'did you get them for me?'. I think somebody said something in her ear and she stopped mid-thought on that. But she looked serious. It didn't make me want them because of it, but I cannot help but wonder two things - if sometimes they really are having items ordered for them and I wonder how many people take that as a cue that they simply must have the items also.

I sure wish those earrings were ACTUALLY 14k gold and not resin-filled because I'd have been all over them. They looked amazing on her and would look amazing on pretty much anybody. But I don't buy costume jewelry so I was not tempted.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/20/2014 maryebrown said:

I think it's tacky when the hosts do that. They have the product info ahead of time and they can order new items before we ever see them!

Exactly! Its so phony.

Honored Contributor

Not all clothing has "hangar appeal". Sometimes you don't know how cute something is until you see it on someone else .... if they want to order something, so what? I just wonder what their Employee/Host Discount is! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Do people really think a host would trust a casual co-worker with her PIN and credit card information? I wouldn't. They review the merchandise before the show giving them ample opportunity to order then. It's all a sales ploy.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

On 4/20/2014 kachina624 said: Do people really think a host would trust a casual co-worker with her PIN and credit card information? I wouldn't. They review the merchandise before the show giving them ample opportunity to order then. It's all a sales ploy.

Yep, you're right.