Respected Contributor

Re: Hosts ordering products while on the air...

As noted, it's definitely a sales tactic. No one does it better (or worse) than Lisa R., with her constant croakings to some unknown off-camera serf to "save [her] a black one'' in whichever size she's wearing, after which she'll ultimately groan that they'd sold out before she got one.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

When JRT had her message board, she said hosts were not allowed to order new items before they were presented. This is why you hear them requesting an assistant order for the.

Respected Contributor

On 1/17/2014 lulu2 said:

When JRT had her message board, she said hosts were not allowed to order new items before they were presented. This is why you hear them requesting an assistant order for the.

That's right. And if the item sells out, the host's order is cancelled. That's the way they used to explain the procedure, anyway.

Respected Contributor

That's probably true about ordering just before the presentation. However, since the Q's airing the same items over and over and over, I'm not buying the act. If they want these items, they can get them. Enough with the sales ruse!

What worries you masters you.
Contributor

Today they showed dansko sandals and I ordered size 7 red very quickly and
it was in my cart. All of a sudden the host Hornback screamed out to the
producer "order me a size 7 in red". As I was going through the process of
going to the cart my order disappeared. When I went back to go through the
process again they were sold out. Seems like Hornback got my size 7 red
Ramona danskos......it was like the blink of an eye. Not very nice
QVC......

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow!

You must really want those shoes.

You  bumped up two 2 year old threads to talk about it?

ETA

I stand corrected.

There is yet a THIRD old thread bumped up to say the exact same thing.

I think we get it. You wanted the shoes   Woman LOL

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I'm sure they can order whenever they want. When they order on the air it's a way for them to impress upon us how desirable an item is, hoping for the 'monkey see - monkey do' factor to kick in... Simple as that...

I find it hard to believe that whether or not a host wants an item it will make any difference in sales.    I am not motivated by what others want, so it would never cause me to purchase an item.  

As for others ..... well,  I just don't think most people are that stupid.

Honored Contributor

@Hsteacher@Tinkrbl44

ITA with both of you.  I have always thought the ordering thing was a sales ploy.  If it isn't, they are taking all of us for a ride.  It is a dumb ruse, because no way do I think they are actually ordering when they are hosting.It is almost condesending. Pretending to be one of the regular folks . Also, if they really want an item, I am sure it is a company perk to be able order first.  I mean, I am sure ordering ONE lousy item won't kill the rest of us.

Personally, the Hosts could spend the time they TALK about ordering, describing the item to us better. It doesn't mean a thing to me if the hosts say they are ordering.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hsteacher wrote:

I'm sure the hosts get to see the products they are presenting ahead of time. Wouldn't it make sense for them to do "their personal shopping" beforehand instead of while on the air? What is the point of shouting out for production to save them one of this or that in a certain size, while on the air?

@Hsteacher, I too, think it's so that if someone is a real fan of a certain host and the host buys one, the viewer says to themselves, oh my friend host.....is getting one, I want one too. But the craziest one to me, is the person who made the garment, says oh I have to order one for me, or save me one of those! If I created a garment, I'd already own it, if I liked it that much.

Respected Contributor

Doesn't work for me. Plus I would not want someone in production having my cc info and password. Just a foolish sales pitch.