Super Contributor

Re: Hosts ordering products while on the air...

All's fair in love and retail!

Regular Contributor

On 1/16/2014 Topaz Gem said:

Talk about fake, LOL. What used to crack me up at HSN was when a host would start off a show by questioning some employee behind the scenes, asking them if the price of the item was correct. They would act as if the price was WAY too low and it must be a mistake. Supposedly 'the guy in the back' would double check on the price so that the host could continue selling.

I used to chuckle when I saw that little spiel!

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} they still do that over there!

Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2014 Animal Lover said:

Talk about fake, LOL. What used to crack me up at HSN was when a host would start off a show by questioning some employee behind the scenes, asking them if the price of the item was correct. They would act as if the price was WAY too low and it must be a mistake. Supposedly 'the guy in the back' would double check on the price so that the host could continue selling.

Ha! I haven't watched them in so long that I forgot about that little ditty. That was about as lame as it gets. But they do it with this straight face of 'oh this price is WAY too low - it couldn't possibly be right'. Okey dokey then. *rolleyes*

Honored Contributor

Consider what they say and what they do may be two different things. Do they really order on air or is it a sales tactic?

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Contributor

I saw that Bill guy do it just as couple of days ago on a cooking show... so cheesy! I remember years ago, and I do mean a long time ago in the CVN days, I believed that hooey about "hey John, make sure to reserve one for me" and "get on the phone... our supply is almost gone!"
Super Contributor

On 1/16/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

All's fair in love and retail!

Truer words have seldom been spoken.

Respected Contributor

Uh, where have I been? Every time this happens I get upset b/c I think "how unfair", but now understand it's a sales tactic. Still unacceptable.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2014 Animal Lover said:

I just heard Diane Gilman do it this month.

She couldn't BELIEVE the low price they were asking for her jeans...they were too low to make a profit! (Yeah, sure!)

Regular Contributor

Carolyn did it with 2 pairs of shoes today. Big production. Made me uncomfortable in that it was so unprofessional.

Honored Contributor

It's just a sales tactic.