Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts Not Mentioning Prices Enough (or at all?)

Years ago, HSN used to show the Flex Pay on the screen and the full price very small. So if you were flipping by, you might stop when you see $9.95.  You had to look closely to see the full price.

They dropped that in recent years, but it was a way to get people to stop on the channel.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I don't know that I have ever heard Sandra Bennett give the full price of an item.  I only heard her give a flexpay amount.  That is just one of the reasons I never cared for her as a host.  

Now it seems more and more of the hosts are doing this.  I'm not sure why people think this is acceptable.  It is the hosts' job to provide viewers with the information necessary to make a purchase.  If they can't do that, they aren't doing their job.   

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:
If you were so visually impaired you can’t see the price on the screen, which is a very reasonable size, I can’t imagine you’d be doing much TV shopping; how would you see the item, well enough to know you wanted it?

That would be a situation, when I assume, you’d call customer service for assistance.

As for mistaking the EP price, for the total price, I can’t imagine that happening, if you had any familiarity, with the item you’re buying. You’d know the EP price was way too low, and, again, call CS if you neded to clarify.

ITA.  I think of all the car commercials we all see - "Drive this car home for $499/month!"  No one thinks that car costs $499.  It is up to us to research it.  IMO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 wrote:

@SuhseK wrote:
If you were so visually impaired you can’t see the price on the screen, which is a very reasonable size, I can’t imagine you’d be doing much TV shopping; how would you see the item, well enough to know you wanted it?

That would be a situation, when I assume, you’d call customer service for assistance.

As for mistaking the EP price, for the total price, I can’t imagine that happening, if you had any familiarity, with the item you’re buying. You’d know the EP price was way too low, and, again, call CS if you neded to clarify.

ITA.  I think of all the car commercials we all see - "Drive this car home for $499/month!"  No one thinks that car costs $499.  It is up to us to research it.  IMO.

@Mj12   No comparison IMO.  Do you really think it's justiable for a host to talk for usually more than five minutes rambling on to fill time and not mention the price of the item?  Really?  As I've posted, in the good old days of QVC the item's price was given right up front, and then EZ pays if there were any.  IMO it's unjustiable not to mention the price of an item, and it's being deliberately left out of the presentations.

And it's ridiculous to think we, the consumer, should have to "research" a price when something is presented on TV.   Cars are a different issue in that it's common practice that the retail sticker price is not really the price people pay. Haggling is common car buying practice (unfortunately).  That is not the case for QVC merchandise.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't know that I have ever heard Sandra Bennett give the full price of an item.  I only heard her give a flexpay amount.  That is just one of the reasons I never cared for her as a host.  

Now it seems more and more of the hosts are doing this.  I'm not sure why people think this is acceptable.  It is the hosts' job to provide viewers with the information necessary to make a purchase.  If they can't do that, they aren't doing their job.   

@Lipstickdiva   I completely agree, except that I think they are being told to do that, and therefore are doing their job. Unfortunately.   It seems to be uniformly among the hosts omitted nowadays so I have to think it's part of their job not to mention the price of the item, which is ridiculous and, as you say, not acceptable.

I wonder how those on this thread defending the practice would like it to go to stores and see prices in EZ pays?  Ridiculous.   

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@SuhseK wrote:

@Mj12   No comparison IMO.  Do you really think it's justiable for a host to talk for usually more than five minutes rambling on to fill time and not mention the price of the item?  Really?  As I've posted, in the good old days of QVC the item's price was given right up front, and then EZ pays if there were any.  IMO it's unjustiable not to mention the price of an item, and it's being deliberately left out of the presentations.

And it's ridiculous to think we, the consumer, should have to "research" a price when something is presented on TV.   Cars are a different issue in that it's common practice that the retail sticker price is not really the price people pay. Haggling is common car buying practice (unfortunately).  That is not the case for QVC merchandise.

Okay that is a good point.

Occasional Visitor

This is still an issue for me.... they may state what the retail price would be but not the QVC price.... unless I come and look online I cannot always see the rpice on my TV due to eye problems.... I'm sure I'm not alone....

Contributor

[ Edited ]

While it may be true that randomly the price is shown when QVC shows the box with the price and easy pays in it, the fact is that hosts keep going on and on about the $$ on the easy pay as "you can take this home for $.." and you have to wait 15 minutes before the box on the corner with the whole price shows up. While it is true the price is shown, I have noticed hosts are no longer informing the whole price because two days later the item general price will increase. Thank you.

Contributor

... And I have also noticed that when QVC posts the box not all the time it displays the entire/whole price but for sure it shows the easy pay amount only. This is deceiving practices. I only rely on the item computer seach to be sure I am fully informed what the whole price of the item is which requires additional search and extra time. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oops. one more comment. I am also a little hard of hearing, and I am in my late 60s. So I have the closed captioned aid/application turn on at all times. The QVC price box that another viewer refers to, infering that the price is clearly stated, it is covered with the closed captioned translation which limits the ability for someone like me to get reliable and clearly information about the real price of the item. Please don't make assumptions or generalize that I can't read. I hold a post-doctoral degree, and the issue is about hosts not being clear, consistent, and lacking disclosing relevant information when conveniently rather tell stories instead of providing detailed information of the item, price, and any additional cost. Thank you.