Frequent Contributor

Re: Hosts - It comes down to manners

@jonbon wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@spiderw wrote:

This is a consistent and old complaint but a very valid one.  Hearing people interrupting, cutting off others when the host has to throw out a tiresome selling point and boy are they tiresome, the lack of manners is my reason for not watching certain hosts.  It is easier for me to go on the Q site and check out items I might be interested in. I know the producers are constantly pushing the hosts to repeat and push those sales, after all it is a shopping channel/ 

I have been watching the Q for a very long time and I have to say very rarely has a host influenced my decision to buy no matter what their spiel.

I agree. Last week (I think it was) QVC had something like 3 or 4 Denim&Co. presentations and they beat that TSV like a dead horse. This is why I record what I'm interested in and fast-forward when something/someone is boring, unappealing, etc.

That's not new.

true, not new. But it's boring.

I watched Shop LC recently & they do the same thing.

Esteemed Contributor

I want product information.  If they can just do that one thing I will be happy to watch.  Over time the presentations have gotten a bit over the top and almost ignoring what they need to do to inform the buyers.  But I have a feeling they are monitored by sales per item or per hour.  If they sell I can only feel that managment does not really care.  

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@granddi wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

I have a feeling that their salaries are commensurate with their sales figures. The more they sell the more money they make maybe in bonuses. That's why some of them get hyper and talk non stop hoping to whip up the urgency to buy now before they are gone!

Kathy Levine said they are NOT on commission. However, i'm guessing sales GOALS. I was talking to a Dillards sales person who said "this is her last day because she did not meet her sales goals."

@granddi  Similar to a police officer writing tickets.  They might not have a QUOTA to fulfill but do have GOALS to meet for their supervisor.

I was married to a police officer. There were never any quotas or goals for tickets. 

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@PatsyZ wrote:

SMQ was unwatchable.  One of the hosts was very hyper.  Too much caffeine or something.

I loved Harry Slatkin's parting remark at the end of his segment.  Ever the gentleman, he asked, "Can you two please get some energy?"

Who is SMQ ?

Occasional Contributor

Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore SMQ stands for Saturday Morning Q. The show Kerstin and Alberti host.

Respected Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@Kitty Galore SMQ stands for Saturday Morning Q. The show Kerstin and Alberti host.

those two try to be entertainers rather than product presenters. they should find some middle ground.

Super Contributor

It's a matter of perception. The perception some hosts have that they are the focus of the show...it's a SHOPPING CHANNEL...the focus is the product. They aren't "celebrities" just because they're on TV...except in their minds.
Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@granddi wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

I have a feeling that their salaries are commensurate with their sales figures. The more they sell the more money they make maybe in bonuses. That's why some of them get hyper and talk non stop hoping to whip up the urgency to buy now before they are gone!

Kathy Levine said they are NOT on commission. However, i'm guessing sales GOALS. I was talking to a Dillards sales person who said "this is her last day because she did not meet her sales goals."

@granddi  Similar to a police officer writing tickets.  They might not have a QUOTA to fulfill but do have GOALS to meet for their supervisor.

I was married to a police officer. There were never any quotas or goals for tickets. 

I was too and my department did and does.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Occasional Visitor

I agree. The chatter from Susan Graver, the giggling.  the wine.  Sorry, I just turn it off, even though I'm interested in buying.   Not worth listening  too.