Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts - It comes down to manners

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:
I think Harry was kidding Shawn & Courtney because they were excited. He calls Shawn Lady Di & has expressed how much he likes her.

Same for Laura Geller, saying how much she enjoyed working with Jane & Courtney.

Everyone has personal likes & dislikes. They’re just out there trying to earn a living. I wouldn’t be so critical of a clerk or sales person in a B&M store….why are they held to a higher standard?

A TV Broadcasting career is an entirely different "animal"--- they are being viewed by the entire country, there's a certain standard of professionalism that one must adhere to, as well as careful attention to their appearance, and there's the knowledge that's also expected and required for their job, and yes there's criticism from the public, and it all comes with the territory  ....and they are very well compensated for these challenges in their chosen career.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@PatsyZ wrote:

SMQ was unwatchable.  One of the hosts was very hyper.  Too much caffeine or something.

That's why I don't watch either one of them......

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your local department store sales person is unlikely to have an agent, a business manager,  an entertainment industry attorney, various employer provided social media platforms, thousands of fans and followers and a SAG/AFTRA card.

The two positions are in no way comparable. 

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:
I think Harry was kidding Shawn & Courtney because they were excited. He calls Shawn Lady Di & has expressed how much he likes her.

Same for Laura Geller, saying how much she enjoyed working with Jane & Courtney.

Everyone has personal likes & dislikes. They’re just out there trying to earn a living. I wouldn’t be so critical of a clerk or sales person in a B&M store….why are they held to a higher standard?

@Stray   Every vendor, and I mean every single one, will at some point state how much they love the hosts.  It's the art of Sales 101.  They must appear to personally connect with the host because the hosts have fans and each connection is a sale.  

Remember all the kissing and I love you after every presentation before the pandemic?  

I'm not saying it is never true, just take it with a grain of salt.

Of course Harry likes Shawn, she's a very popular QVC host.  He has said the same about Albert, Jane Treacy, and David Venable, etc.  

Just like when Chaz Dean gushed over Julia Cearley after she hosted one of his shows for the first time.  

Esteemed Contributor

Can't take the CONSTANT interruptions....the hosts will 

ask the vendor to explain the product and the vendor doesn't get much more then a sentence out and the hosts

interrup them with nothing important to say....constantly

so many times i want to hear the vendor explain something about a product and they start ....and are cut off by the host

saying something about themselves and the product

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kelsey17 wrote:

Can't take the CONSTANT interruptions....the hosts will 

ask the vendor to explain the product and the vendor doesn't get much more then a sentence out and the hosts

interrup them with nothing important to say....constantly

so many times i want to hear the vendor explain something about a product and they start ....and are cut off by the host

saying something about themselves and the product

@kelsey17 

EXACTLY---you nailed it! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Stray   Every vendor, and I mean every single one, will at some point state how much they love the hosts.  It's the art of Sales 101.  They must appear to personally connect with the host because the hosts have fans and each connection is a sale.  

Remember all the kissing and I love you after every presentation before the pandemic?  

Of course Harry likes Shawn, she's a very popular QVC host.  He has said the same about Albert, Jane Treacy, and David Venable, etc.  

Just like when Chaz Dean gushed over Julia Cearley after she hosted one of his shows for the first time.  

@Caaareful Shopper 

And Ive seen some vendors visibly upset after being interrupted with nothing but "nonsense talk" by the host....from handbags to clothing to kitchen (David wasnt the host that evening), on to beauty...and they werent kidding or joking around either!  Some hosts are too self focused or get totally giggly, silly and out of control and you wonder where was the Show Producer who should have done something to rein them in and let the vendor give the information on their product!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper 

And Ive seen some vendors visibly upset after being interrupted with nothing but "nonsense talk" by the host....from handbags to clothing to kitchen (David wasnt the host that evening), on to beauty...and they werent kidding or joking around either!  Some hosts are too self focused or get totally giggly, silly and out of control and you wonder where was the Show Producer who should have done something to rein them in and let the vendor give the information on their product!!!!

@Spurt   Yes, I do get your exclamation points.

The vendors are there for their business.  To make money.  They are not there to become family, or to be included in  vacation trips or dinner theatre.  As much as they may truly like each other, I've also seen vendors visibly frustrated and try to bring the focus back on the product.  

Lately, I've noticed the more experienced vendors starting right in with their sales presentation immediately after being introduced by the host.  No small talk of "HI! I'm so excited to be here!"  More & more of them are getting right into their product presentation, leaving the host in silence for a while.  I always smile when I see that.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper 

@Spurt   Yes, I do get your exclamation points.

The vendors are there for their business.  To make money.  They are not there to become family, or to be included in  vacation trips or dinner theatre.  As much as they may truly like each other, I've also seen vendors visibly frustrated and try to bring the focus back on the product.  

Lately, I've noticed the more experienced vendors starting right in with their sales presentation immediately after being introduced by the host.  No small talk of "HI! I'm so excited to be here!"  More & more of them are getting right into their product presentation, leaving the host in silence for a while.  I always smile when I see that.

@Caaareful Shopper I've also noticed this too and I say to myself, (insert vendor name) say it now while you can. I've noticed this too with the reps on with Dan Hughes. He is always trying to make a joke and some of the reps just describe their product w/o even acknowledging his joke.

Honored Contributor

Well, one thing is clear ........  the hosts must be under enormous pressure to DO SOMETHING to make as many sales as possible.   

And who knows what the hosts are being told by producers while trying to talk ... and still make sense to the audience?  lol