Honored Contributor

Re: Hostess Gift for Son's Future MIL

Pauly Shore was the "Son-in-Law.

You can make a nice fruit and cheese basket.

Honored Contributor

I don't guess a mattress or vacuum cleaner would do......(Eeek......I've been watching too much Q!!!!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

You could do something like this, with son's favorite cookie/dessert, and the recipe, to show them that they are part of your family.

Respected Contributor

Why don't you ask your future DIL what her parents would like?  I know many people who love consumables, find out what their favorites are and bring that.  I get your not wanting to bring something like bath gel but wine and/or candles, for people who like them are very welcome.  I always wish that when someone gives me a gift, it's something I would actually like and/or use.  If they are wine drinkers, wine is an excellent gift to bring and enjoy during the meal.  Flowers are a wonderful idea but you do have to think of allergies, that's why asking your DIL is a nice idea.  Are you travelling from a distance?  If not, bring a dish to share at the meal, or a dessert, like someone said, maybe one of your DS's favorites.  I personally wouldn't want a photo of the couple, first, I might already have a favorite photo of them an second, maybe she doesn't have photo's sitting around, everyone's different.  That's why I think it's important to try to give someone something the would actually like and the only way you're going to know that is to talk to your future DIL.

Respected Contributor

I found out she loves wind chimes and is a cat lover.  A couple of months ago at a feed & seed store I saw so many cute cat-themed chimes.  I'm going for it, ladies!

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

pommom wrote:

I found out she loves wind chimes and is a cat lover.  A couple of months ago at a feed & seed store I saw so many cute cat-themed chimes.  I'm going for it, ladies!

Yay!  It sounds like you're on the right track.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@pommom wrote:

Yay!  It sounds like you're on the right track.  Smiley Happy

I agree!  More personal, and lasting. 

Flowers are nice, but they fade and die. 

Plus you have to scramble for a place for them in a house that will probably be decorated enough for the holidays.

The parents will be able to enjoy the sounds and think of you.  It sounds like a thoughtful gift.  That's what matters.

Honored Contributor

ITA about the flowers, Lucky Charm!

Flowers are lovely and all that - but then they die and it's kind of sad.  My husband used to bring me flowers all the time.  While I accepted them graciously and gratefully, at some point I finally asked that he not buy flowers anymore and explained why.  It really made me sad to see them die.

Then they're gone.   Maybe I'm just weird.  I can accept that.  But I think a gift personalized to the recipient's tastes and likes is so much more personal and appropriate.  She will have it forever and not just for a week.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Just being funny here but how about an OBI belt...then she can use it as a cat toy if it doesn't look good on her....oh, wait....everyone can wear those!

Just kidding:-) I like the chimes, it's more personal.
Honored Contributor

If flowers are OK . . . I once brought a rare kind of amaryllis when invited as a guest for holiday dinner--not the humble economy version I get for myself Smiley Happy. It was rather costly. I knew the couple loved bromeliads or whatever it is that amaryllis are.  They loved that plant.  It was some unusual shade of red and very large.

Amaryllis most definitely ARE NOT bromeliads!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment