Esteemed Contributor

Any activity contains a risk of injury.  A horse can break a leg simply running across a pasture or even giving a child a ride at a birthday party.

Any horse that did not love to run, would not be racing.  Simply not good enough.  Anyone who horses, any horses, has a lot of money invested in them.  They don't want to see them hurting anymore than anyone posting here. Looking for ways to make any sport safer should be a priority rather than condemning them all together.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Wondering if owners get insurance money if their horse is put down.

Couldn't believe the one that broke it's leg this past weekend was owned by Barbaro's owner.

Poor Barbaro.

I don't claim to own race horses, in fact I've never owned a horse.  But I've told the story here before, when I was about 9 or ten, I put my 4 poster bed up for sale in a Penny Saver type newspaper. 

I planned on buying a horse with the money I got for the bed.  Much to my parents surprise, people called the house inquiring about the bed for sale.

I'd been riding neighbors horses since probably first grade, in fact the first time I ever swore was when I was bucked off a horse.

I love horses, always have always will.

If something awful happens to a horse naturally, you just have to understand it's Mother Nature.

If a horse is injured racing, it was an accident waiting to happen.

Just like when they filmed country and westerns and the horses were run hard, fell and rolled over.  FINALLY, they put a stop to that. 

If football players, hockey players, etc. consent to doing it be it for money or simple pleasure, that's on them.

Ask a horse if it really wants to risk breaking it's leg.

Yes, there are times when a horse owner could collect insurance.

However, that's after a necropsy, drug testing and thorough investigation. It depends on what they were insured for, how much, mare, stallion or gelding. There are lots of variables.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I am not a fan of horse racing.  I don't like the disposable aspect of it, plain and simple.  Too many horses seem to be done racing when they're still young and many head off to slaughter, which is bad enough but the conditions of transport can be horrific and the method of killing can be cruel. 

However, to be fair, there are many horses who have awful lives and many breeds wind up at the slaughterhouse, not just race horses.  Horses are expensive to keep and require space and lots and lots of hay/grass, they should get their teeth floated periodically, perhaps have a visit from the equine chiropractor a time or 2 each year, get yearly vaccinations, be exercised, be worked with regularly.    They can live a very long time and therefore be a lifetime commitment.  

I can't control what others choose to do.  I can only tell you this:  I've only owned 3 horses in my life and none have gone to slaughter.  I made sure of that.  My first horse lived out her days enjoying the company of her pasture buddy after I was done riding her.  My second horse had cancer and while I took him to a well known (in racing circles) vet, he still had to be euthanized after 2 operations to cure him failed and the cancer returned.  My third horse is my current trail partner.  I absolutely love this gelding.  And if something happens to me, he'll live out his years in the pasture where I board him - I have an agreement with the owners of the farm, a bank account set up to fund this and a son who understands how important it is to me.  He'll follow through.

As I said, I can't force others to feel the same way I do.  I can only make sure MY horses are well taken care of and provided for, even if I'm not around.

Honored Contributor

Kalli~it's nice to hear a response from an actual horse owner. 

And I agree that transportation is another concern. 

I've seen horses in trailers flying down the expressway and sitting in the hot sun at rest stops while their owners are inside in air conditioning. 

It must be an awful experience for the horses to be 'traveling'.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Horse racing NOTICE: GRAPHIC

Noel17, your comment regarding my sig line is one of the kindest things written to me.  I am truly touched and I must say, it takes one to know one.  I will hold that thought in my heart for a very long time.

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Honored Contributor

Re: Horse racing NOTICE: GRAPHIC

@asoutherngirl wrote:

Noel17, your comment regarding my sig line is one of the kindest things written to me.  I am truly touched and I must say, it takes one to know one.  I will hold that thought in my heart for a very long time.

@asoutherngirl

Thank you so much for your response, that means a lot to me Smiley Happy

It's shocking to realize so many people don't care about others, and I include animals.  I've felt that way since I was a child, how could people not see that animals suffered also, emotionally and physically.

Thank you for the work you have done on behalf of horses!

Super Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

I am not a fan of horse racing.  I don't like the disposable aspect of it, plain and simple.  Too many horses seem to be done racing when they're still young and many head off to slaughter, which is bad enough but the conditions of transport can be horrific and the method of killing can be cruel. 

However, to be fair, there are many horses who have awful lives and many breeds wind up at the slaughterhouse, not just race horses.  Horses are expensive to keep and require space and lots and lots of hay/grass, they should get their teeth floated periodically, perhaps have a visit from the equine chiropractor a time or 2 each year, get yearly vaccinations, be exercised, be worked with regularly.    They can live a very long time and therefore be a lifetime commitment.  

I can't control what others choose to do.  I can only tell you this:  I've only owned 3 horses in my life and none have gone to slaughter.  I made sure of that.  My first horse lived out her days enjoying the company of her pasture buddy after I was done riding her.  My second horse had cancer and while I took him to a well known (in racing circles) vet, he still had to be euthanized after 2 operations to cure him failed and the cancer returned.  My third horse is my current trail partner.  I absolutely love this gelding.  And if something happens to me, he'll live out his years in the pasture where I board him - I have an agreement with the owners of the farm, a bank account set up to fund this and a son who understands how important it is to me.  He'll follow through.

As I said, I can't force others to feel the same way I do.  I can only make sure MY horses are well taken care of and provided for, even if I'm not around.

❤️ @Kalli

Super Contributor

cecesnana, if only every horse had a person like you!

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care