Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Here's what I don't understand:

How can anyone be in favor of a "sport" that subjects animals to harmful situations, particularly once one has learned that this is what happens?

Why do humans have to make animals run or fight or otherwise act in extreme ways just because the humans can make money or be entertained?   

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

How can anyone be in favor of a "sport" that subjects animals to harmful situations, particularly once one has learned that this is what happens?

Why do humans have to make animals run or fight or otherwise act in extreme ways just because the humans can make money or be entertained?   

Whether we like it or not, horses are HUGE business. Not just racing, but Jumping, Dressage, Cutting, Rodeo etc. A big economy that drives the lives of fans, jockeys, Grand Prix riders, bull riders, feed producers and even folks who have a couple of ponies on their hobby farm  etc.

It's like any other business, there are good and bad actors.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

If anyone is, at minimum, interested in helping prevent two-year olds from racing, here's just one petition I found simply searching for "petition to prevent two year old horses from racing."

Yes, it's broader, but that's all for the better for the horses.

https://forcechange.com/149378/stop-abusing-race-horses/

Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

Whether we like it or not, horses are HUGE business. Not just racing, but Jumping, Dressage, Cutting, Rodeo etc. A big economy that drives the lives of fans, jockeys, Grand Prix riders, bull riders, feed producers and even folks who have a couple of ponies on their hobby farm  etc.

I'm aware of all you wrote, but that didn't answer my questions.  There is no reason, other than money, to put animals into situations where they will more than likely be hurt.  There are not enough safeguards in general and. in particular, by forcing the younger ones to race they are the ones placed most at risk.

Super Contributor

Re: Horse racing NOTICE: GRAPHIC

Lilac Tree, I have long admired your thoughtful and poigniant posts.  Today your comment regarding horse racing brought tears to my eyes.  The incident at the track traumatized me for several years and encouraged my grandfather to sell the horses: under contract to not race them or use them to breed stock. I had always had a love for animals, but never realized until that day how people used them to brutally and greedily reward themselves with money. I have worked on many petitions and activities for years to eliminate "animal shows" and I pray that some of the people writing against  this abuse will add their energy to help stop this loathsome "entertainment."

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Super Contributor

Homegirl, I can answer your question in one word: greed

Honored Contributor

@asoutherngirl wrote:

Homegirl, I can answer your question in one word: greed

@asoutherngirl

I think your sig line above also explains a lot of it.  There are people who just don't care about possible consequences for horses.  Most likely that would also include other animals.

Respected Contributor

Re: Horse racing

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

I'm aware of all you wrote, but that didn't answer my questions.  There is no reason, other than money, to put animals into situations where they will more than likely be hurt.  There are not enough safeguards in general and. in particular, by forcing the younger ones to race they are the ones placed most at risk.

I answered your question, I'll break it down, it's economics, it puts food in people mouths, from the people who clean stalls all the way up to the owners, it is a business. Agri-business, I live in an agricultural state. After reading all the thread it is an emotionally charged subject.

I love horses, have owned them and NEVER supported running horses under age 5. But they can. I have never supported the running of fillies at all. But they can. The rule is all Thoroughbreds have a foal date of January 1 so some owners race them young. The game is here to stay. I would suggest to some to get active in your legislature to protest your issue. I did, to bring racing to Minnesota. The dollars generated have been growing steadily for our state. Some states do not have state taxes because of the dollars generated from the industry.

For me, I can't stand football, grown men acting like idiots and now complaining they have head injuries? SMH. But it's a big business and fans love football.

I love horses, always will. I did not have a bad experience working at the track, I was working with professionals. Again, every game has it's bad apples.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Wondering if owners get insurance money if their horse is put down.

Couldn't believe the one that broke it's leg this past weekend was owned by Barbaro's owner.

Poor Barbaro.

I don't claim to own race horses, in fact I've never owned a horse.  But I've told the story here before, when I was about 9 or ten, I put my 4 poster bed up for sale in a Penny Saver type newspaper. 

I planned on buying a horse with the money I got for the bed.  Much to my parents surprise, people called the house inquiring about the bed for sale.

I'd been riding neighbors horses since probably first grade, in fact the first time I ever swore was when I was bucked off a horse.

I love horses, always have always will.

If something awful happens to a horse naturally, you just have to understand it's Mother Nature.

If a horse is injured racing, it was an accident waiting to happen.

Just like when they filmed country and westerns and the horses were run hard, fell and rolled over.  FINALLY, they put a stop to that. 

If football players, hockey players, etc. consent to doing it be it for money or simple pleasure, that's on them.

Ask a horse if it really wants to risk breaking it's leg.

Honored Contributor

I think the thing with football players is that they knew they could get injuries, maybe even serious injuries, but no one knew years ago that concussions were so dangerous and that repetitive concussions could cause lifelong disabilities and neurological problems.