Respected Contributor

Re: Horse racing

[ Edited ]

Anyone interested might check out the HBPA

National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association

They have a simple mission, to look out for the welfare of all those involved with and including the horse. Owners, horses, jockeys etc. They have been active since 1940.

All legit tracks have an on site office.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Glittergal wrote:

Sure horses enjoy running--on their own terms not because they are whipped viciously with a crop or kicked by a jockey.  They are forced to run and trained (often viciously) to obey, which is why they continue to run even while injured.  

They are bred to be money-makers, not healthy horses.  They're bred for speed without regard for safety or sustainablility.  They're bred for exaggerated muscle mass and lighter/more fragile bones to increase speed and make more money.  Thoroughbreds are designed to have enormous heart and lungs (again for speed and the almighty dollar).  These genetic manipulations do not create a healthy horse who can withstand injury, they create a money-making horse.  They are running on legs like glass because people made them that way!  Horses do not mature until age 5, but are forced to race at 2.  This is the equivalent of a small child lugging around 50 pounds on their back, which causes great damage to the skeletal & muscle systems.  They are FORCED to run at full speed, causing severe and crippling pain and injury to legs and joints.  Tendons are often torn or bowed which often goes untreated as horses mask their pain (especiallly when they are on drugs).  

Good points @Glittergal

Trusted Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

The key to some arguments in this forum is that there has been, as in past tense, much abuse in horse racing.

"Drugging" a horse can mean a number of different things. In some cases it's the human version of an aspirin such as phenylbutazone (or bute), which is legal. There are many drugs that are banned from racing and reputable owners would never risk losing their racing license for these violations. Nor would they race an over drugged horse, very counter productive. Drug violations are rare, vets regularly take samples and are legally required to do so..

At most tracks these days, everyone is finger printed, licensed and bonded. At some you have to drug test. When I was at the track the INS regularly came in and removed most of the workers on the backside due to immigration violations. Now days everyone is pretty much documented or you don't work there. Again, owners will not risk losing license. You could suffer a lifetime ban.

Perhaps some scrub tracks, if there are even any left, have big issues but not your mainstream big racing operations. They want a cleanly run operation, or else again they lose.

Like anything else, pick your battle, but horse racing is a huge sport, in the elite leagues as big as the NFL. If you don't enjoy it, don't attend.

EXCELLENT points. Even with your ACCURATE information, those who think they know-it-all (one in particular) will DISAGREE.

Respected Contributor

really what choice does a horse have?  

Super Contributor

Re: Horse racing NOTICE: GRAPHIC

As a child I attended the "fancy and elegant" races to cheer on horses qwned by my family,  There was the excitement of choosing hats and dresses, and going to lovely tea parties, and being with friends to pet the beautiful, magnificent, horses, and give them a kiss for luck.  One year, it rained and I was amazed at the utter stupidity of the "elegant" people who stood in the drizzle, and some in mud, to watch the race, giggling and boasting under umbrellas.  I was shocked that the horses were let out to run, and in so doing, a horse slid into the stands, injuring people and breaking his neck.  I will write nothing furthur as the wretched animal missed my feet by inches and I witnessed his demise and removal from the track.  From then on, horse racing was nothing more to me than another method for people with more money than sense to amuse themselves at the harm, pain, or death of one of the most magnificent creatues on earth. 

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@asoutherngirl wrote:

As a child I attended the "fancy and elegant" races to cheer on horses qwned by my family,  There was the excitement of choosing hats and dresses, and going to lovely tea parties, and being with friends to pet the beautiful, magnificent, horses, and give them a kiss for luck.  One year, it rained and I was amazed at the utter stupidity of the "elegant" people who stood in the drizzle, and some in mud, to watch the race, giggling and boasting under umbrellas.  I was shocked that the horses were let out to run, and in so doing, a horse slid into the stands, injuring people and breaking his neck.  I will write nothing furthur as the wretched animal missed my feet by inches and I witnessed his demise and removal from the track.  From then on, horse racing was nothing more to me than another method for people with more money than sense to amuse themselves at the harm, pain, or death of one of the most magnificent creatues on earth. 

@asoutherngirl

Thank you, that was obviously a painful memory for you to revisit.  

And thank you for describing the ritual that went along with the race.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

I find it interesting that those who have first hand knowledge of horses and the racing industry have a very different opinion than other posters.

@CrazyDaisy

You are incorrect.  I have first hand knowledge of horses and dogs, and I have made it clear that I stand with the majority here against mistreatment which includes horse racing and dog racing or dog fighting.

You do realize that in order to have first hand knowledge you need to have participated in these activities.  Things you hear or read do not count as first hand knowledge.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

Glitter Gal, thank you for expressing the information on race horse training.  The process is cruel and brutal, and if all that is inflicted on those magnificent animals were revealed on the board, I am certain that the post would be deleted.

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Honored Contributor

@asoutherngirl wrote:

What a hideous experience.  Horses are such beautiful, gentle, and innocent creatures.  This story brings tears.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is directed at another poster