Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It's an indisputable fact that the 'sport' IS cruel.    

The issue is - this bothers some people and it doesn't bother others.

The cruelty that happens, or doesn't happen, behind the scenes is one thing.  But what people watch is also cruel.   

Hey, I have a good friend who enjoys watching this.  I don't care any less for her because I think she justifies it in whatever way one justifies it when they enjoy it.   My only thing would be that I kind of wish she wouldn't bring it up with me every year, as she DOES know how I feel, but I guess that's a whole other thing.  Smiley Happy

I know somebody who has the fingernails ripped out of kittens' little hands.  I told her how cruel this is.  I've SHOWN her how cruel this is, and fully explained to her how cruel this is.   She chooses to say that it's not cruel because it is what she wants to do.   What are ya gonna do?     I just drop it and would rather not hear about it.   Willful ignorance, that.  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

The key to some arguments in this forum is that there has been, as in past tense, much abuse in horse racing.

"Drugging" a horse can mean a number of different things. In some cases it's the human version of an aspirin such as phenylbutazone (or bute), which is legal. There are many drugs that are banned from racing and reputable owners would never risk losing their racing license for these violations. Nor would they race an over drugged horse, very counter productive. Drug violations are rare, vets regularly take samples and are legally required to do so..

At most tracks these days, everyone is finger printed, licensed and bonded. At some you have to drug test. When I was at the track the INS regularly came in and removed most of the workers on the backside due to immigration violations. Now days everyone is pretty much documented or you don't work there. Again, owners will not risk losing license. You could suffer a lifetime ban.

Perhaps some scrub tracks, if there are even any left, have big issues but not your mainstream big racing operations. They want a cleanly run operation, or else again they lose.

Like anything else, pick your battle, but horse racing is a huge sport, in the elite leagues as big as the NFL. If you don't enjoy it, don't attend.

I don't think most people care about attending, they care about the health, safety, and ethical treatment of horses.

You may think you know what most people care or don't care about and that's fine, but then why are the grandstands so routinely filled?  Clearly you don't like horse racing, but there is no need to chide those folks who fill those grandstands.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

The key to some arguments in this forum is that there has been, as in past tense, much abuse in horse racing.

"Drugging" a horse can mean a number of different things. In some cases it's the human version of an aspirin such as phenylbutazone (or bute), which is legal. There are many drugs that are banned from racing and reputable owners would never risk losing their racing license for these violations. Nor would they race an over drugged horse, very counter productive. Drug violations are rare, vets regularly take samples and are legally required to do so..

At most tracks these days, everyone is finger printed, licensed and bonded. At some you have to drug test. When I was at the track the INS regularly came in and removed most of the workers on the backside due to immigration violations. Now days everyone is pretty much documented or you don't work there. Again, owners will not risk losing license. You could suffer a lifetime ban.

Perhaps some scrub tracks, if there are even any left, have big issues but not your mainstream big racing operations. They want a cleanly run operation, or else again they lose.

Like anything else, pick your battle, but horse racing is a huge sport, in the elite leagues as big as the NFL. If you don't enjoy it, don't attend.

I don't think most people care about attending, they care about the health, safety, and ethical treatment of horses.

You may think you know what most people care or don't care about and that's fine, but then why are the grandstands so routinely filled?  Clearly you don't like horse racing, but there is no need to chide those folks who fill those grandstands.

@Jacie

You told people HERE that if they don't enjoy it, don't attend.

In that same sense, I responded from what I have seen of most people HERE, on this line, this thread, this discussion.  Not most people in America or in the whole wide world.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7

Was not aware that you spoke for all on the thread!

Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@Noel7

Was not aware that you spoke for all on the thread!

I didn't say that, I said from what I've seen.

I'm sure you understand the difference.

Honored Contributor

Just like circus animals, Sea World creatures and the once very popular c-ck fighting, hopefully this will be put to an end also.

People are starting to wise up.

Honored Contributor

INFORMATION FROM "THE HORSE FUND"

"The Horse Fund is the most dynamic equine advocacy organization of its kind. Headquartered in the United States, The Horse Fund lobby for stronger horse protection laws and act as industry watchdogs."

The Horse Fund reports on a wide variety of ways horses are used.  They have a Fact Sheet specifically dealing with horse racing in America.

It could be upsetting info to some people, so I'm not going to quote or link to it, but it's easy enough to Google.

Valued Contributor

Re: Horse racing

[ Edited ]

Sure horses enjoy running--on their own terms not because they are whipped viciously with a crop or kicked by a jockey.  They are forced to run and trained (often viciously) to obey, which is why they continue to run even while injured.  

They are bred to be money-makers, not healthy horses.  They're bred for speed without regard for safety or sustainablility.  They're bred for exaggerated muscle mass and lighter/more fragile bones to increase speed and make more money.  Thoroughbreds are designed to have enormous heart and lungs (again for speed and the almighty dollar).  These genetic manipulations do not create a healthy horse who can withstand injury, they create a money-making horse.  They are running on legs like glass because people made them that way!  Horses do not mature until age 5, but are forced to race at 2.  This is the equivalent of a small child lugging around 50 pounds on their back, which causes great damage to the skeletal & muscle systems.  They are FORCED to run at full speed, causing severe and crippling pain and injury to legs and joints.  Tendons are often torn or bowed which often goes untreated as horses mask their pain (especiallly when they are on drugs).  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7

Of course I know the difference. I also understand passive aggressive behavior. You do understand that others have opinions as well I presume.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Glittergal wrote:

Sure horses enjoy running--on their own terms not because they are whipped viciously with a crop or kicked by a jockey.  They are forced to run and trained (often viciously) to obey, which is why they continue to run even while injured.  

They are bred to be money-makers, not healthy horses.  They're bred for speed without regard for safety or sustainablility.  They're bred for exaggerated muscle mass and lighter/more fragile bones to increase speed and make more money.  Thoroughbreds are designed to have enormous heart and lungs (again for speed and the almighty dollar).  These genetic manipulations do not create a healthy horse who can withstand injury, they create a money-making horse.  They are running on legs like glass because people made them that way!  Horses do not mature until age 5, but are forced to race at 2.  This is the equivalent of a small child lugging around 50 pounds on their back, which causes great damage to the skeletal & muscle systems.  They are FORCED to run at full speed, causing severe and crippling pain and injury to legs and joints.  Tendons are often torn or bowed which often goes untreated as horses mask their pain (especially when they are on drugs).  

I have always had an issue with racing horses under age 5. Because of the fact that all throughbreds have their birthday on the same day, January 1, there can be be fragile undeveloped animals running. Especially fillies. They are far more delicate.