Honored Contributor

Re: Horse racing

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@LilacTree

What a very touching story about your sister and her love for her horse(s). It is very similar to the way my sister has lived her life almost always connected with horses. She has 5 of them at one time and both her children grew up with always having them in their lives.

One of her horses named JR was older than both her children when he had to be put down. I think he was 35 years old and her had never known life without him in it. They were all devastated with his loss. She has over 10 acres and he is buried on her property.

The more care any animal needs, my belief is the closer human and their animal become. To care for a horse most have to spend much more time with them, than sal a cat or a dog, thus I believe their bond just might be even stronger than with the smaller animal family members.

Thank you for sharing your story about your sister and her beloved horse "Specks" with me and others that read your post. It is both a sad and a happy story about the bond between people and their love and connection, which is reciprocated, with the animal members of their family.

hckynut(john)

Thank you so much John, obviously you understand the bond.  And your sister is so lucky to still be here and enjoying her brood.  Specks was seven when my sister bought him, making him around 25 when he died, about average.  He was so well cared for I know he would have lived longer had he not come down with the big "C."  My sister also buried him on their property.  Her husband was a vet and they had ample acreage up in Sussex County. 

Our family has also always had pets, mostly dogs and cats, and now mostly cats because everyone lives in apartments now.  I had to give my lovely calico to my ex-SIL (who is still part of the family . . . strange but true).  I couldn't care for her anymore.  But she's still in the family and he's crazy about her.  My daughter and I have a tiny poodle/chi mix, everyone else has at least one cat. 

My youngest has three and works with animals all the time.  Her last adoption has only one eye, but he's beautiful just the same.  She adopted him because she knew he would be hard to adopt out from PetSmart where she volunteers.  He's a red tabby and a lovey dovey sort.  She calls him "Romeo."

Thank you for your lovely post.  Have a wonderful day.  Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Sure horses are bred for racing. And who breeds them?  Man!  For man's pleasure of horse racing/betting.

They weren't put on this earth to run phenominal speeds around tracks (on freakishly skinny legs) with a man on top whipping and kicking his sides. 

Start legal betting on the Olympics.

Honored Contributor

Any sport that involves athletes is going to also involve injuries; horses are the athlete in equestrian events and they get hurt/die. I've been involved with horses since before I could walk; I can't imagine a life without them. In my late teens, I was an exercise "boy" at the track and I've ridden at Pimlico (again, working out a horse). These animals are bred to run and will do so no matter what; they are highly competitive by nature and.... absolutely breathtaking when they do so.

The reality is, however, there is no other "point" to these horse and having them around except for racing (speaking about this breed only). I've seen many go down on the track, but also that have broken a bone running around and playing in a field near the stable...both are heart-wrenching.

I don't know what my point is; I know people are angry. I also don't think many truly understand the sport, how it works (the good the bad and the ugly) and that fact that either you have these horses do what they love to do and are bred to do or..... you don't have them around at all because there will be need to.

And that will be very sad thing, indeed.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Sure horses are bred for racing. And who breeds them?  Man!  For man's pleasure of horse racing/betting.

They weren't put on this earth to run phenominal speeds around tracks (on freakishly skinny legs) with a man on top whipping and kicking his sides. 

Start legal betting on the Olympics.

@Lucky Charm

It might not be betting, per se, but LOTS & lots of $$$$$ are placed on the heads of Olympic athletes.  And versus a horse, a human will agree to that condition.  That's why the Olympics (IMO) is one of the dirtiest sports out there.  Lots of illegal drugs, money under the table. 

Olympics today are not the Olympics we grew up with. It's a commercial business...they are professional athletes. 

Honored Contributor
I'm really surprised this thread hasn't been flagged w/ a sensitive warning. Two horses died. How is this any different than the baby bison story? Same outcome.
Regular Contributor

They push these poor horses till MANY have to be destroyed!!!!!   Remember this, in SPAIN with the bull fighting,at the end the Madador keeps stabbing the bull with swords!!!!  WHO COULD DO THIS NEVER MIND WATCH IT???????????  Cruel beyond anything!

Regular Contributor

Some people tell me YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM ALL....I tell them Yes I know and it breaks my heart, BUT...The ones I have saved are a blessing and I know if they could talk they would be forever grateful!!!!

Watch ANY animal that has been abused and see the HAPPINESS they have after finding someone that loves them!!!

Honored Contributor

Chiming in as another who is NOT a fan of the cruelty of animal racing.  It just breaks my heart and that also goes for circuses that use animals and rodeos.   I wish it was against the law to treat animals this way.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

lyn61 wrote:

They push these poor horses till MANY have to be destroyed!!!!!   Remember this, in SPAIN with the bull fighting,at the end the Madador keeps stabbing the bull with swords!!!!  WHO COULD DO THIS NEVER MIND WATCH IT???????????  Cruel beyond anything!

I was in Spain one time with another couple.  They wanted to go to a bullfight in Barcelona.  I just said 'go on ahead, but I could never EVER go see that'.  IIRC, when we saw them down the road, they expressed that they wished they hadn't gone.  I"m glad that they saw it for what it was!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
I'm a little late with my comments and there's nothing much I can add that has not already been said. So I'm just gonna say, I hate it, hate, HATE IT !