Honored Contributor

I was shocked to learn that about 500 horses die each year, i was going to post this the other day,but did not want to get jumped on again.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Horse racing is no different than dog racing, ****** fighting or dog fighting. It is all animal abuse tied to people's addiction to gambling. All of it should be stopped and made a federal offense. 

Big difference in dog fighting,and horse racing.

Respected Contributor

Horse racing is big money. The horses are equine athletes and are treated as such. The best of everything. Running is their job, they are bred for that.

However I have always had an issue with racing young fillies, they breakdown far too often IMHO. It happens more often than you would think. 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I feel sorry for the horses.

Also, betting on horses is rigged.

Honored Contributor

Re: Horse racing

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Horse racing is no different than dog racing, ****** fighting or dog fighting. It is all animal abuse tied to people's addiction to gambling. All of it should be stopped and made a federal offense. 

@SeaMaiden

I think it's more than gambling to many people.  It's tradition, the sport of gentility, and it gives people something to do.  Some buy and sell horses or breed horses.

The Kentucky Derby is a major event people to look forward to all year.  Special drinks, special food.  The event of the season, find the right hat and outfit.  Have high quality silver cups for cocktails, especially mint juleps.

@Noel7:

Call  it what you will... it is animal abuse and cruelty. Remember Many years ago the Romans also had The event of the season.... mixiing Lions with Christians.... major event people looked forward to all year... food drink and good times...... some things are just not proper to do anymore and that includes gambling based on Animal abuse  tied to good times a fancy clothes. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Big difference in dog fighting,and horse racing.

abuse is abuse is abuse.... there is no difference.

Respected Contributor

I'm not a fan. I don't find it entertaining. I always feel sorry for the horses.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The people that do dog fighting , are horrible, i would love to say ,but can not  on here what i think should happen to them.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Our whole family loves all animals. My sister has always owned horses since as far back as I can remember. At 81 she still owns horses and still does most of the work necessary connected to doing so.

No animal lover likes to see any animal injured, or worse. Race horses are not the only ones that get seriously injured and have to be put down. There are quarter horses that are entered in riding events than have them jumping/stopping/working around barrels and so on.

I don't make any claim to be an expert on horses, quite the contrary. Some horses are bred for racing and with that comes risks, for both the horse and the one riding them. What I heard happened at the Preakness track is sad indeed for any animal lover.

How any animal lover feels about horse racing is an individual choice. As a big animal lover I do not judge any animal lover for how their choices concerning this topic.

hnj

@hckynut

My beloved sister fell in love with horses when we were still pre-teens.  I loved them too, but she made them her life.  She rarely had a time in her life when she did not have one or two horses.  Her greatest love was "Specks," an Appaloosa.  She was devastated when he died of cancer, she had had him for 18 years.  She was an excellent horsewoman and used to ride bareback most of the time.  I loved watching them, they were so beautiful together.  When she was upset or down she would go to his barn and sleep with him. 

At her memorial, the last words of my eulogy were "Ride in peace and joy, our beloved mother, sister, grandmother and aunt."  I had that engraved on her urn as well. 

Her favorite song was "Wildfire," which I cannot listen to without breaking down, it reminds me so much of her and Specks. 

I couldn't read the stories nor the posts about those two race horses, although I am sure you are correct that racing isn't the only thing that's cruel. 

We're seeing some signs of more respect toward animals used for entertainment and profit.  I'm hoping that will extend to horses who should be able to run wild and free.  Such beautiful animals.  So sad.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree

What a very touching story about your sister and her love for her horse(s). It is very similar to the way my sister has lived her life almost always connected with horses. She has 5 of them at one time and both her children grew up with always having them in their lives.

One of her horses named JR was older than both her children when he had to be put down. I think he was 35 years old and her had never known life without him in it. They were all devastated with his loss. She has over 10 acres and he is buried on her property.

The more care any animal needs, my belief is the closer human and their animal become. To care for a horse most have to spend much more time with them, than sal a cat or a dog, thus I believe their bond just might be even stronger than with the smaller animal family members.

Thank you for sharing your story about your sister and her beloved horse "Specks" with me and others that read your post. It is both a sad and a happy story about the bond between people and their love and connection, which is reciprocated, with the animal members of their family.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)