Honored Contributor

They don't just round up horses in their pasture and take them to the track to see how well they'll do in a race. 

Race horses are forced to train hard to ride hard.  To the death sometimes. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

They don't just round up horses in their pasture and take them to the track to see how well they'll do in a race. 

Race horses are forced to train hard to ride hard.  To the death sometimes. 

They are pushed beyond their normal desire to run.  It's disgusting.  It should be outlawed along with any money making opportunity at the expense of a living creature.

Honored Contributor

I don't want to go off subject, but want people to know what happened to Lily, the elderly horse that someone had mistreated and was later abandoned.

The good news is that Good Samaritans got Lily to a vet in time and she was treated for her injuries and has recovered.

The best news is that she has been adopted by Jon Stewart and his wife, Tracy.  They have made a rescue ranch and have taken Lilly in to live in peace and happiness for the rest of her life. 

Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@hoosieroriginal...God bless you for rescuing your dog. I am a cat lady, but have a special fondness for Greyhounds and Whippets. 

@catwhisperer - Story is just an amazing dog - I worked with the greyhound group for 3 years before I got a greyhound and it was worth the wait.  Everything they said about greyhounds are true - so loyal and loving!  That's funny, I love whippets too! 

Honored Contributor

Horse racing is no different than dog racing, ****** fighting or dog fighting. It is all animal abuse tied to people's addiction to gambling. All of it should be stopped and made a federal offense. 

Honored Contributor

Our whole family loves all animals. My sister has always owned horses since as far back as I can remember. At 81 she still owns horses and still does most of the work necessary connected to doing so.

No animal lover likes to see any animal injured, or worse. Race horses are not the only ones that get seriously injured and have to be put down. There are quarter horses that are entered in riding events than have them jumping/stopping/working around barrels and so on.

I don't make any claim to be an expert on horses, quite the contrary. Some horses are bred for racing and with that comes risks, for both the horse and the one riding them. What I heard happened at the Preakness track is sad indeed for any animal lover.

How any animal lover feels about horse racing is an individual choice. As a big animal lover I do not judge any animal lover for how their choices concerning this topic.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Horse racing is no different than dog racing, ****** fighting or dog fighting. It is all animal abuse tied to people's addiction to gambling. All of it should be stopped and made a federal offense. 

@SeaMaiden

I think it's more than gambling to many people.  It's tradition, the sport of gentility, and it gives people something to do.  Some buy and sell horses or breed horses.

The Kentucky Derby is a major event people to look forward to all year.  Special drinks, special food.  The event of the season, find the right hat and outfit.  Have high quality silver cups for cocktails, especially mint juleps.

It's a lifestyle.

Respected Contributor
So many people love these horse races, including me, but what just happened with these deaths will certainly cause awareness. I'm not sure what my opinion is. Same with football. All these things we've always done without much thought given to the negative side.
Esteemed Contributor
Animals do what they are bred to do. I can appreciate that. There are few things more glorious than a horse running for the sheer joy of it.

I have mixed emotions about horse racing.
Trusted Contributor

It's fun to watch the horses run, they are such beautiful animals but it breaks my heart when the jockeys keep beating them to go faster! It just seems so cruel!!Woman Sad