Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of it.

Just makes me sad that horses get injured while racing and have to be put down.

Then the poor horse that collapsed and died right after winning a race.  Not fair.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm...I am totally disgusted by it. Smiley Sad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

I couldn't agree with you more, Lucky Charm.

Honored Contributor

Is that the horse that had a heart attack?  There was obviously something wrong with it which was undetectable.   He could have collapsed and died running in his own pasture.  Horses were born to run.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I totally agree - I hate people who use animals for money making.  That's why I rescued my greyhound - she had a horrible life while racing - has scars to show for her injuries.  So sad.  The loss of those beautiful horses...

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I'm not a fan of it.

Just makes me sad that horses get injured while racing and have to be put down.

Then the poor horse that collapsed and died right after winning a race.  Not fair.

I am so with you @Lucky Charm

I took riding lessons as a kid and helped care for the horses.  I have also been to horse races.  I love horses and those horses should not have had to die.

Honored Contributor

actually two horses died yesterday at the preakness.

the winner of the first race was the horse that collapsed after leaving the winners circle.

a horse that ran in the 4th race threw its rider and broke his left front leg and had to be euthanized on the track.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal...God bless you for rescuing your dog. I am a cat lady, but have a special fondness for Greyhounds and Whippets. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Valued Contributor

I just read that 1200 horses die at racetracks every year in the US.  Sport of kings my foot.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

actually two horses died yesterday at the preakness.

the winner of the first race was the horse that collapsed after leaving the winners circle.

a horse that ran in the 4th race threw its rider and broke his left front leg and had to be euthanized on the track.

This just makes me sick. Smiley Sad