Honored Contributor

Re: Horrible reaction to Downey Unstoppables

Yes!  Use dryer sheets at the bottom of our trash cans.  To ward off/away critters.  Great idea, thank you!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I haven't tried the Unstoppable yet, but may get them to use in my outdoor trash cans.  Unlike most of you, I love the scent of Gain detergent and dryer sheets.  While I don't use dryer sheets on towels, I have NO problems using them on my clothes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt Before returning the product to Costco for a refund it would be wise for you to contact the manufacturer directly. It sounds like you had a classic case of hives and you might consider seeing your doctor asap. If nothing else, take a photo as proof of your reaction. 

This is something the manufacturer should be made aware of. They may issue you a direct refund and also want you to return the product to them for testing. When that happens they send you the packing materials and labels. Manufacturers tend to take things like this seriously. 

Honored Contributor

Fabric softeners,and dryer sheets are just not good to use at all.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Sorry this happened to you, I can relate. I hvae very sensative skin and cannot use things like this.

I often wonder though when I see the commercials for these...do they melt in to your clothes or do they get sucked out in the dryer? How do these things work?

Esteemed Contributor

@conlt, I had the same problem with severe itching that required a prescription.  I originally purchased this product because of working out and feeling that my clothes really needed to smell very clean.  

What I found to be my problem, and maybe yours, was two-fold.  First, there are no directions on how much to use and I believe that I used way too much.  Second, this type of product needs to be used sparingly and not on every wash,  I think it is every 12 washes or so.

I do not use these products any longer.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I purchased Downey Unstoppables because they were on special at Costco and I thought I would treat myself. I had the most horrible skin reaction to the product, I developed itching and red welts all over my body. Yesterday was horrible, I had to re-wash all of my clothes, towels and bed linens, Constantly applying anti-itch cream. I feel somewhat better today, the itchy feeling is subsiding. I would never recommend this product to anyone. I am going to take it back to Costco next time I go. Horrible experience. 

I had the same reaction to that product.  I ddn't have the welts, but the itching and rash was all over mybody too. Kept me up all night applying anti-itch cream.

Honored Contributor

Take some Benadryl a couple of times a day, it will stop the itching in its tracks

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

my wife had that same reaction to tide free and clear but i did try downy unstoppables and she didnt have a reaction to that. and me to i had to rewash everything . good luck. but return it.get your money back. good luck

Honored Contributor

So strange that there is a thread about this product! I used to use them in my old house and haven't used them since I lived here (3 years). I pulled out my container just the other day and have been using it and really love the scent! I just bought another scent and have been enjoying that too. I plan on using the unstoppables from now on.

"Pure Michigan"