Respected Contributor

Re: Horrible reaction to Downey Unstoppables

I have to say I do not understand that product.  Who wants their clothes to stink like laundry chemicals.

When people smell like that come near me I walk the other direction. Augghh.

Respected Contributor

Oh, no not at all, I used very little, not even 1/8 of a cap. I just got out of the shower, thank goodness for goat milk soap as that helps ease the itch. I used very little. I like the idea of using them in the trash can but I don't think I am even going to try that. I read the material data safety sheet on these and guess what it says? "Avoid skin contact with product" are you kidding me? These go in the laundry. I use either Tide, Gain or Kirkland signature detergent but I never have any trouble with those. 

Honored Contributor

First of all, 'don't get me started' re: babies and young children's small, delicate lungs and skin.   ..........  Second, I'd call the manufacturer and report this reaction.  I'm fairly sure that you aren't the only one.  They're supposed to 'keep track' of all complaints/reactions/etc.   If folks don't report issues, then nothing in the formula will be modified.  .........p.s.  I would try a quarter of a straight B*nadryl (or store brand) tablet/pill.  The straight antihistamine, not the one with the added 'this and that' features.  ( I usually find that taking 1/4 of a tablet/pill of any OTC med works just as well as a full tablet.  Always read the directions, precautions, etc.  And, just to be safe here on the boards, call/ask your doctor.    

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I purchased Downey Unstoppables because they were on special at Costco and I thought I would treat myself. I had the most horrible skin reaction to the product, I developed itching and red welts all over my body. Yesterday was horrible, I had to re-wash all of my clothes, towels and bed linens, Constantly applying anti-itch cream. I feel somewhat better today, the itchy feeling is subsiding. I would never recommend this product to anyone. I am going to take it back to Costco next time I go. Horrible experience. 

@conlt

Not sure what this product is .... laundry soap?   As for your itching, did you take Benadryl for the allergic reaction?   That tends to help with extreme reactions, so it's a good idea to keep it in the house.

Personally, I've never understood why people deliberately add soaps with fragrance (ALL ARTIFICIAL FRAGRANCE CHEMICALS!)  to what we put next to our skin.  I've always been an "Unscented" gal so I guess my perspective is different.  JMO

Honored Contributor

p.s. (again):  Re: dryer sheets:   It used to be (years ago) that the precautions stated to keep away from children and keep away from skin.   Now, keep in mind that I can't get near the laundry section aisle, so I haven't recently read what's stated on the packaging now-a-days.  ......... Also, keep in mind that softeners/dryer sheets leave a coating on our clothing, pillowcases, bed sheets, etc.   So, 'add two plus two', so to speak. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

You can return it to Costco 

Honored Contributor

Tinkrbelle:  Yes!  (We were typing at the same time.)

Honored Contributor

I can't take strong scents anymore either.I use eos laundry detergent from Costco.It smells clean and light.I can't use chemical cleaners due to fumes either.I will gag and sometimes even vomit so now I clean with vinegar and baking soda.They do an okay job but I am sure they aren't killing germs though.

Super Contributor

SeaMaiden, you are brilliant! You just gave me an idea. I am going to mix some of these beads with some non-clumping clay cat litter and put it in the bottom of my outdoor garbage service can. Just a little bit should really offend the noses of outdoor critters and maybe keep them away, while also cutting down on the stench in the can hopefully.  We try to keep them clean, but the summer is bad.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

p.s. (again):  Re: dryer sheets:   It used to be (years ago) that the precautions stated to keep away from children and keep away from skin.   Now, keep in mind that I can't get near the laundry section aisle, so I haven't recently read what's stated on the packaging now-a-days.  ......... Also, keep in mind that softeners/dryer sheets leave a coating on our clothing, pillowcases, bed sheets, etc.   So, 'add two plus two', so to speak. 

The coating left is icky.

Towels don’t absorb, clothes get dirtier & smeller...it’s very self-fulfilling.

I just use the ion-washer balls w/ no dryer additives. Soft, clean.

Oh, I’ll use a small amount of detergent for the ‘pink bits’ or

‘crevasse’ loads, but I’m not very hard on my clothes.