Trusted Contributor

Re: Horrible experience buying gift cards- need your opinions...

@Q4u wrote:

I also understand that this was the Cashier's fault, but Wal Mart's policies drove the Cashier as well as how they handled rectifying it.... Woman Happy

EVERY store is going to want to see the paperwork.  Period.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@Tribesters  you're looking at this as a people issue.  It's a data issue.

Call your credit card company.  They can help you sort this out and get a resolution.

There is no reason for you to pay for something you didn't get.  They can look at the data and figure this out pretty easily on the phone or with a little investigation on their end.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Just one of the MANY, MANY reasons we do NOT EVER shop in Walmart or Sam's Club.  

Thankfully it was only $50.00

This was the fault of the cashier NOT Walmart or even Sam's Club!  Geez

So with your logic Walmart is not responsible for the actions of their employees?

It is the customers job to go back to the actual cashier?

Honored Contributor

My sister had an experience with buying a gift card for Amazon from Kroger.  The person she gave the gift card to wasn't able to use it.  Amazon didn't recognize it.  Unfortunately my sister didn't have the receipt.  I now only buy gift cards at the same store the gift cards are from.  I always keep my receipt and give it to the person with the gift card.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Just one of the MANY, MANY reasons we do NOT EVER shop in Walmart or Sam's Club.  

There is nothing wrong with Walmart.   They provide thousands of jobs and necessary goods in many communities that would otherwise be without.  They are just a store like any other store.   I buy all my groceries there and want for nothing. 

I'd love to know some of the many,  many reasons you don't shop there. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

What if it's the only store around?  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

There is nothing wrong with Walmart.   They provide thousands of jobs and necessary goods in many communities that would otherwise be without.  They are just a store like any other store.   I buy all my groceries there and want for nothing. 

I'd love to know some of the many,  many reasons you don't shop there. 

Very well said.  

Trusted Contributor

@VaBelle35 I got a refund but it required my driving to that store. I was concerned that it would take too long for the credit card company to resolve the issue. I know I would have to wait a few days for the charge to go from pending to posted before I could dispute it.  I also didn't know how long it would take for the $50 credit to show. Charges go through immediately but credits always seems to take longer to show up. This was an immediate credit right on the initial transaction so maybe that would have showed up sooner? I knew I would be upset about it for days so I wanted it corrected. I really thought, if given the info from my receipt, someone in the store could have found the gift card. If it wouldn't activate then the cashier shouldn't have put it back out for sale. It's probably in a returns section still in the store. 

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Tribesters  I have seen this advice many times-if you are buying gift cards buy them directly from the store.  So if it is a gift card for Starbucks, buy it at Starbucks e.g.

Some gift cards will have a fee attached if purchased outside of the store, too, although I'm not sure if that is true at all outside locations and for all types of cards.

Just an FYI- Buying a GC from the store is no different than buying anywhere else (unless it is a small independent store). For your example- Starbucks GC bought from Starbucks is no difference from buying it from the grocery store (or anywhere else) 

There are a few major GC companies that handle the manufacturing (printing), processing and activation of gift cards.

Starbucks contracts this portion of their business to one of these 'handling companies'

The key as many have said is to keep the activation receipt.  ALWAYS get an activation reciept.  GC fraud is rampid.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad it worked out and sorry you had to drive all that way again.

I know at Target, they could not see my transaction for 48 hours when I called about an incorrect charge.  I went back to the store like an hour later and they could make the adjustment based on the receipt but my transaction wouldn't show up in their transaction history for at least 24 hours.  It has to do with how stores charge credit cards.  Some do the authorization and the charge  transactions immediately, others do the authorization while you are standing there but settle the transaction  in batches, unsually in overnight electronic data processing just to speed things along.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN