Honored Contributor

Re: Horrible experience buying gift cards- need your opinions...

@VanSleepy wrote:

You would think that if it didn't activate, the charge would not have even rung up, but it does happen.  I don't think the cashier was trying to pull one over on you.  Whenever I give a gift card, I include the receipt in case the recipient has a problem.  (Learned that the hard, embarrassing way.)

@VanSleepy

I  think so too....something really suspcious about the way it was handled....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I have had 2 bad experiences with Wal-Mart customer service. I ordered a fitbit from Walmart online. It did not come after 3 weeks, I tried customer service with no help and in desperation I bought another. In the mean time the original fitbit arrived. I then tried to return it and customer service said there was no record for me to return it. I even tried the store, no record, so now I have 2 fitbits. I was very upset. Another time I tried to spend $2000 in gift cards for my employees. My company gives those types of prizes for good work. I had the corporate office make the check out to Walmart. They would not take it. I asked for a manager none came to talk to me. I called the customer service number numerous times and never got a person. So I turned the check back into corporate and had them make a check out to Publix (a local supermarket). Publix gladly sold me the gift cards. I avoid Walmart at all costs. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing your story.  I'm sorry it happened.  Seems every store offers a smorgasbord of gift cards, so some sort of fraud is almost inevitable.  My takeaway is to only buy gift cards from the issuing store and either give a copy of your receipt to the recipient or keep it indefinitely in case there's a problem.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Just one of the MANY, MANY reasons we do NOT EVER shop in Walmart or Sam's Club.  

Thankfully it was only $50.00

There is nothing wrong with Walmart.   They provide thousands of jobs and necessary goods in many communities that would otherwise be without.  They are just a store like any other store.   I buy all my groceries there and want for nothing. 

I'd love to know some of the many,  many reasons you don't shop there. 

@Kachina624

I know you addressed this to @Abrowneyegirl....but I just had to jump in here and give my Top 10-----Oh let me count the ways why I dislike Walmart and shop there only as the positively LAST RESORT locally or online!!!----

1. cashiers fighting with one another-- regarding over time and when one cashier was supposed to stop her shift and the other one was supposed to start hers.....arguing right in front of a long line of waiting customers Woman Frustrated

2. cashier was angry over something a co-worker did and took it out on customers in line---and mumbled, grumbled and whined all through everyone's transaction.....

3.  sis and I looking at merchandise and Walmart employee came up to us and in an ugly tone told us to make sure we put the merchandise back exactly as we found it because she just spent time stocking the shelves and didnt want to have to do it over again (is this the way an employee talks to a customer---they might think it but this shouldnt be said out loud)....

4. Shoddy merchandise---oh yes there are some decent brands, but a lot of other products have gone down hill (cheap and chintzy)---

5. Ask an employee a question---where to find something, have a question on merchandise etc etc---they have no clue.  Target employees ask if they can help before I even ask!!!.....

6.  I will give Wally World credit for having more named brands in groceries, and newest items......but their deli, produce, and bakery leave a lot to be desired......and some of a packaged staple I bought tasted stale (the expiration date was far into the future).....no Wally World groceries for me....

7. Security incidents ever increasing at Wal Mart---shooting and death at Wal Mart over this weekend in my very city--funny how other retailers dont seem to have these safety issues....

8. Not the best prices anymore--Comparison shopping for food processor for a gift--Costco beat Walmart---(and Im not a big fan of Costco either),,,,,,Walmart not always cheaper these days---Target beat them on a TV a friend purchased same specs, same brand, same size.....

9. Dirty stores.....

10.  While they do employ and provide jobs they have also driven other retailers out of business and mom and pop type stores too that promoted more made in the USA products too...And in some cases after they've done away with the competition in a few locales now they've left some towns/rural areas high and dry---WTG Walmart!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Blah blah blah, that's all I hear when people go into their anti Walmart speech.  I love the store because it works for me, my family and my pocketbook.  I do a big Walmart run every couple of months with my sister.  We make a morning of it, get there very early and shop till we drop.  Then we have lunch.....and talk about how little we spent for so much stuff.   We are due for one now.....

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

@circles wrote:

At my Walmarts they tell you that you can't purchase any gift card with a credit card...and can only purchase their own...Walmart...gift card with their own credit card....

@circles

I've never heard of that policy at Walmart. Seems like it would have been clearly posted on the gift cards displays if this store had such a policy. 1 card activated at checkout & 1 didn't. Maybe there was a $50 limit on gift cards if paying by card? I'll have to check into that. Seems cashiers would be aware of it & explain it at checkout. I could have paid cash if asked but I think purchasing with a card is safer & I'd have options to dispute the charges. If I paid cash & someone fraudulently redeemed the card I'd have no proof I was the buyer. Even with my receipt- they could say I found the receipt somewhere. 

@Tribesters

Our major grocery store chain here, HEB, has a large variety of gift cards, there are no restrictions on type of payment for gift cards, that is where I purchase most of mine. There was only one time a card wouldn't activate, the cashier knew immediately, voided the transaction, he went and got another gift card and rang it up as a new transaction and it went through, he called over the Manager and handed her the gift card that didn't activate --- I always give the receipt to the recipient......

A lot of people, particularly teens and people that own most everything--- prefer gift cards to their favorite restaurant, or Google Play/Amazon (to purchase movies, music or books online).....so they do make good gifts for the hard to buy for or hard to please....

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I have had 2 bad experiences with Wal-Mart customer service. I ordered a fitbit from Walmart online. It did not come after 3 weeks, I tried customer service with no help and in desperation I bought another. In the mean time the original fitbit arrived. I then tried to return it and customer service said there was no record for me to return it. I even tried the store, no record, so now I have 2 fitbits. I was very upset. Another time I tried to spend $2000 in gift cards for my employees. My company gives those types of prizes for good work. I had the corporate office make the check out to Walmart. They would not take it. I asked for a manager none came to talk to me. I called the customer service number numerous times and never got a person. So I turned the check back into corporate and had them make a check out to Publix (a local supermarket). Publix gladly sold me the gift cards. I avoid Walmart at all costs. 

@conlt

Wow---can't imagine a retailer turning down a sale of $2000.....glad your local supermarket could fill your order. 

So sorry about your online experience......I had an unhappy one too....my brother wanted a particular watch for his birthday...he said the one he wanted he saw online at Walmart on sale.....I ordered it and it looked like it was return---the box was all smashed up and I opened the package to inspect it and the watch didn't even have the little plastic thing on the stem to preserve the battery.... I felt it was definitely used, returned it and found and ordered the same watch from Target online---it arrived perfecttly complete with plastic thing in place and box was perfect too!!!! 

Honored Contributor

Although I don't shop at Walmart often and I wouldn't buy a GC there, I'm reading with interest the posts about how unhelpful Walmart is with Customer Service issues in general. I will make sure my purchases are limited to items that can't go wrong. I appreciate knowing, so thanks.

The two Walmarts closest to me are gross, as in very dirty, and messy. I'm not sure it's worth a 15-20 mi drive to another that might or might not be an improvement.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've said on these boards many times,

if one proclaims their Walmart is dirty/gross,

it's a direct reflection of the neighborhood one lives in.

My Walmart & Target are in the Willow Bend area of Plano.

Very clean & upscale. 

Real Estate/Property Value 101.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

I've said on these boards many times,

if one proclaims their Walmart is dirty/gross,

it's a direct reflection of the neighborhood one lives in.

My Walmart & Target are in the Willow Bend area of Plano.

Very clean & upscale. 

Real Estate/Property Value 101.

@sidsmom

That's not necessarily true---

The closest Walmart to me is messy and dirty.....if it's the neighborhood why is the Target that's literally across the road always neat and clean!!!  It's the Manager and the employees.....

There's also a small shopping center right in the same area---all those stores are neat and clean too....