Honored Contributor

Re: Horrible experience buying gift cards- need your opinions...

@Yankee2000 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tribesters wrote:

@Cakers3 Good advice but I don't have a lot of major retailers near me. 

Online at daveandbusters.com ?

Easy solution. 

She explained why she didn't want to buy them online...it's in the same post you quoted. 

@Yankee2000

@Tribesters

I took the time to research the website before responding to the OP.

Yes, they DO have physical gift cards.

IMG_0354.JPG

Super Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Yankee2000 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tribesters wrote:

Easy solution. 

She explained why she didn't want to buy them online...it's in the same post you quoted. 

@Yankee2000

@Tribesters

IMG_0354.JPG

And how exactly would that help if the event for the gift card was in a few days or that particular day?  It wouldn't ...

Honored Contributor

I buy a lot of gift cards (especially for the daughter in Denver) Ha!

I've had a few 'issues' here and there.  I remember one time I was buying a friend a Home Depot gift card and the elderly gentleman checking me out noticed the 'code' had been scratched off.  He said, "This card isn't any good.  People do this all of the time".

I went back over and got a new one.  Now I examine those gift cards like crazy.  Another thing I do is write in marker the amount on the card.  I also put the receipt (the small extra one they give you) with the gift card in case there is a problem.  You might think of doing some of these things.  I love giving gift cards to friends.  I do it all of the time.  

People are very generous with their time, I write a thank you card (real mail) and slip a gift card in it.  It's fun to surprise people.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yankee2000

It's called 'planning ahead.' 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Tribesters wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 Darn scammers are ruining everything for us honest people out there. But I still think by reviewing the security tapes they could have somehow made it right for me. 

Cameras can't and don't always show everything that needs to be seen.

I was just about to say the same thing.  It's highly likely that nothing helpful at all would have turned up on those tapes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I hate gift cards.  I have accidentally lost several of them and never found them.

I had $250 worth of restaurant gift cards and the place burnt down before I used them,   I have a couple of them for restaurants that people bought us that we will never use.  My DH will not go out to eat and one is for a restaurant over an hour away.

Many times, I regift the cards.

The only time I ever give cards is the ones I get at my credit union.  They are VISA gift cards.  My credit union does not charge a fee for them, they can be used anywhere a VISA card is excepted.

Did you ever read about the millions of dollars spent on gift cards that were never used?

Yes, I have read that.  Merchants make out BIG time.  

Yes, of course.  Many of them go unused.

The trick is to give people gift cards for things you're sure they like. I've never given one for a restaurant, for example, unless I knew the recipients liked to dine out, would enjoy the particular place, and could easily get there.  Last year I gave my future DIL a gift card to Ulta because a new one had just opened near her and they carry her favorite brands.  Choosing gift cards randomly makes no sense to me, but apparently some people do that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Just one of the MANY, MANY reasons we do NOT EVER shop in Walmart or Sam's Club.  

Thankfully it was only $50.00

@Abrowneyegirl I'm sure it could happen anywhere, but I'm with you. I can't stand Walmart!

I'm not a fan of Walmart, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a gift card there if I happened to be in the store and saw one I wanted.  Maybe I'm obsessive about this type of thing, but I never leave a store without going over my receipt item by item.  Mistakes/scams/whatever indeed can happen anywhere.

Esteemed Contributor

@Yankee2000 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Yankee2000 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tribesters wrote:

Easy solution. 

@Yankee2000

@Tribesters

IMG_0354.JPG

And how exactly would that help if the event for the gift card was in a few days or that particular day?  It wouldn't ...

No, it wouldn't.  But that doesn't seem to be the situation described by the OP.

Super Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Yankee2000

It's called 'planning ahead.' 

I'm sure you have always planned ahead for everything.... I doubt it. 

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom Thanks for the info. I didn't check this year but I remember last year they either weren't available or maybe I wasn't sure I'd get them in time. Now that I know I can order them online.