Esteemed Contributor

Excerpt from:  kob.com/albuquerque-news/bus-semi-crash-closes-i-40-near-thoreau/5051465/   (emphasis added)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - A crash involving a Greyhound bus and a semitrailer killed at least six people, according to a McKinely County Christian Hospital official.

A Greyhound official said the bus was traveling from Albuquerque to Phoenix around 1 p.m., with nearly 50 passengers on board, when it crashed. 

New Mexico State Police said preliminary information shows that the semi was traveling eastbound on I-40 when a tire experienced a blowout, causing the semi to cross into the westbound lanes, crashing into the bus.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Thank you Sea Maiden !

No matter what it was a horrible accident and I still feel the same about truck and bus drivers in general.  I know of course you can't put everyone under the same umbrella but it has been my experience driving and observing, to stay clear of speeding trucks and speeding buses.  

May God help all who are affected by this accident to get through this difficult time.

Honored Contributor

The pictures are crazy. Hard to visually figure what happened.

In all honesty?  I’m surprised the fatality count is only 4. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom.  It was the lead story tonight on NBC Nightly News

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Horrible Wreck

[ Edited ]

@debcakes wrote:

Very sad. I drive that route twice per year and stay in either Grants or Gallup. So sad for the families. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

@debcakes.  Since you're familiar with the area, perhaps you recall seeing the Thoreau exit.  It's a small town that must be on the Navajo Reservation.  I visited there once to transport a collie that a teacher found.  We drove by an elementry school at recess and all the kids looked Navajo.  Theres no housing to be rented so the teachers are provided with housing in a compound of cute, newish townhouses.

This is where the crash occured.  Death toll now at 6.

Honored Contributor

Whenever we are alongside a semi, I think about those remnants of tires strewn along the road when they have a blowout. I just want to get past those big rigs.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sidsmom.  It was the lead story tonight on NBC Nightly News

Was traffic blocked from both directions?  

Someone tweeted they were at a stand-still...no alternative routes.

Is that true?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom.   It's truly out in the middle of nowhere so there aren't many boulevards.  Layers of mesas fading into the distance as far as you can see.  Beautiful but desolate country.  There are access roads along the interstate to which they were diverting traffic.  That process goes slowly.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sidsmom.   It's truly out in the middle of nowhere so there aren't many boulevards.  Layers of mesas fading into the distance as far as you can see.  Beautiful but desolate country.  There are access roads along the interstate to which they were diverting traffic.  That process goes slowly.

@Kachina624   "Middle of nowhere" is right.    Can't tell you how many times I have driven 40 going to Chicago.    I'm always keeping my eye on the gas gauge.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

A trucker explains how to keep your rig straight during a blow out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xq_E-HF4N0