Trusted Contributor

Horrible Accident on My Street This Morning

[ Edited ]

My street curves where one street meets the other.   So many cars speed around the curve and sometimes have to then swerve to miss the cars coming the other way.   It's a dangerous curve and people don't care how fast they are going.

This morning, a roofer's truck was parked in a driveway and blocking the sidewalk.   The front of the truck was sticking out about 10 feet from the curb, so sticking out on that dangerous curve plus blocking the sidewalk.

I live in a neighborhood with many elderly people who like to walk.  This dear lady, who walks every morning with her walker was stuck by a car coming around the curve because she couldn't walk further on the sidewalk with the truck blocking and had to go into the street.   Apparently, a car came around the corner, blinded by the truck's front end and hit her.   She was unconscious and taken by ambulance.   

The real aggravating thing one neighbor told me that he called the police to report the truck's illegal parking.   The police came out called the roofing co on the truck and told them to move the truck.   The truck never moved.   The neighbor called the police again and they came out but never got out of the squad car and left.   

The lady with the walker was hit 1/2 hour later.   It was the same cop who came out for the accident that didn't enforce the moving of the truck.   Who is responsible for this horrific accident?   It should be the owners of the truck and the cop if you ask me.   He should have made sure the truck was moved, especially when they ignored him the first time.

We are all so upset and if this lovely lady dies, it will be a tragedy that could have been prevented.    

And here's the unbelieveable part, the truck IS STILL PARKED THERE!!!

Valued Contributor

Re: Horrible Accident on My Street This Morning

[ Edited ]

*sigh* ...I hope she survives ..Heart

ETA- Somebody needs to take pics of the truck ,get license plate and ALL the  info for possible litigation in the future ...

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Trusted Contributor

We all took pics.    In fact, the neighbor who called the cops just called a few of us and we're heading to the police station as a group to complain.

This is unacceptable.   I have always respected police, but this is atrocious lack of response and lack of duty.    

The  lady who got hit  just came back from the E. Coast where she spent a month with her kids in New Jersey.   Now, they'll have to come out here under such horrific circumstances.

This lady is so amazing.   She uses a walker, but is very youthful otherwise. She just has bad knees.   But, she is a former college professor and is so interesting to talk to.    All the neighbors are so fond of her.

I'll keep ya all posted on this.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Was anyone found legally negligent?

Super Contributor

I know you all mean well, but the police do not need a bunch of neighbors going down to the police station to complain.  They know how to handle this.  Not you!  I am sure the gossip mill has run amuck by now, and you do not know all the facts.  This is not your monkey and not your circus.  Stay home and let the police do their job with the investigation.  

Honored Contributor

I do hope the lady survives.

It's been my experience that enforcing laws is often times selective.  In the town where we lived, there was parking on one side of the street.  All homes had large driveways.  The house almost directly across from ours, the owner had a local diner.  Any time you went there, there were multiple police cars outside.  A friend's daughter waitressed there when she was in school.  She said the police always ate for free. (which in that municipality they were supposed to pay)

Back to the neighbor's house; the mower came once a week and parked a large truck with trailer (illegally) on the street.  In the winter when the plower came it was the same thing.  No one else was afforded this luxury.  It would have been easy for service trucks to park on the other side of the street.

Selective law enforcement for sure.

Respected Contributor

Does your local TV station's news department have an investigative team? If so, call them and get them involved with this story.  Let them publicize an inattentive police force so this might not happen again.  Additionally, investigated publicity could be beneficial to the victim in case a settlement becomes necessary.

I agree and disagree with Bear.  While I would not go en masse to the police station, I certainly would consider this situation my, "monkey...circus." This accident could have happened to anyone on your street, yourself, your children, etc.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

Does your local TV station's news department have an investigative team? If so, call them and get them involved with this story.  Let them publicize an inattentive police force so this might not happen again.  Additionally, investigated publicity could be beneficial to the victim in case a settlement becomes necessary.

I agree and disagree with Bear.  While I would not go en masse to the police station, I certainly would consider this situation my, "monkey...circus." This accident could have happened to anyone on your street, yourself, your children, etc.  

I agree with you. Sometimes this gets the most attention vs trying to deal directly with the police. Another thing that is going to be put out there....is that even though the illegal parking of the truck attributed to the accident, the women should not have walked into the street. Be prepared for that, because I can almost guarantee that is going to be brought up.
Honored Contributor

I pray this lady does well...

The truck, were they doing work at this particular house if parked in the driveway and were the residents of the house aware of what had happened? 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Was anyone found legally negligent?

It's much too soon for anyone to have been "found" anything.