Honored Contributor

Re: Horrible Accident on My Street This Morning

[ Edited ]

Marienkaefer2 wrote:

This is a tragic situation, but unfortunately  there were things lined up here that were a recipe for an accident.  I don't blame the driver of the roofing company  truck.  I live in a neighborhood where there are new homes being built, and there are many different construction, landscaping, delivery vehicles parked around our streets at any given time.  We have narrower streets with curves in places as well.  Sometimes these types of vehicles  cannot be completely out of the way.  In my opinion,  it is incumbent upon drivers to drive SLOW enough in these circumstances so that they are able to react quickly should a pet, child, or in this case, adult in a walker suddenly appear in their path.

Additionally,  I'm sorry to say, but I question the judgement of the woman for walking out into an obviously  dangerous part of the street when she herself is unable tomove quickly. She should NOT have gone off the sidewalk.   She should have turned around. However,  The police need to investigate.  As another poster recommended,  let the police do their job.  But from the info provided here, I wouldn't blame the driver of the parked truck

Shoekitty said

I think you live in the Pacific Northwest?  The laws must be different there regarding parked vehicles.  Here in No California where I live it is against the law to obstruct the side walk.  You can't even have a camper in your driveway go on the city sidewalk by an inch.  The City here has the power to tow the vehicle. 

If the police were called out for the roofing truck, and the Police notified the truck company, who ever owns the truck is liable.   Our City police cited a camper owner 8 years ago because it caused an accident.   The camper owners were visiting, and had parked overnight in driveway because they needed an electrical extension from home.  .  The camper went over the city sidewalk and on to the street about 3 feet ,into the bike lane.  This was illegal.  A bicyclist was hit by a car swerving to avoid the biker and car ran  into the camper.The person in the camper was jolted and also injured slightly.  In this case the biker got away with a broken hip and abrasions.  The car was not speeding, and the biker had right of way.  The camper was illegally parked.  I don't know about other states and towns, but here a truck or a camper of a certain size is not even allowed to park legally on a city street for more than 24 hours.  48 hours in some areas.  If they park on the street they get a flag and an intent to tow if not removed.  Visitors in  RV's get in trouble all the time.  They park until they are warned.  Then they move around the street, until warned again.  By then their visit is over and they drive away with no ticket, just warnings

Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Black Cat Back

I am rooting for this lady.  The roofing truck should be cited and charged, especially if things don't go well.  Truckers know not to do this.  They are allowed to do this to load and unload.  If there is no other way they are to put flags and signs around the truck and put a warning sign on the corner or 25 ft before the truck butt..

We have a blind spot on each of our corners.  Our street is 2 blocks with a main street on each end.  People park at the end of the block , parking around the corner.  When I have to leave our block we can turn right or left onto the main street.  But I can't see oncoming traffic unless we go all the way into the lane of traffic going right..  When cars come sailing around the other corner, we can get  T-Boned so easy.  I have to Pray and step on the gas!  4 years ago, a 6 year old boy was killed there because it is a blind spot.  Nothing changed except putting in a cross walk and changing the walking route from the school around the corner/

We we have a few of those blind corners in Brooklyn, some more dangerous than others. One is a well-traveled route to a popular supermarket. I would dread that corner... And I would pray too when I made the turn... It's a residential / narrow street area. I hadn't gone there is months but there must have been a terrible accident there... And they had put in a  traffic light. I am sure it was public pressure, that's the only way things change. There are many speed bumps in my area, especially around schools and they do work.  The police don't respond to pressure but elected officials do if they want to stay in office.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm surprised people don't know you cannot block the sidewalk even where it intersects with your driveway. Its obstructing public right of way. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

I'm surprised people don't know you cannot block the sidewalk even where it intersects with your driveway. Its obstructing public right of way. 

I'm wondering if something like a roofing truck would be an exception like utility vehicles?  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@debc wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

I'm wondering if something like a roofing truck would be an exception like utility vehicles?  

If it's a utility vehicle and they need to block the sidewalk they must put out cones or other visual warning and direct foot traffic to the safety of the opposite side of the street. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@debc wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

If it's a utility vehicle and they need to block the sidewalk they must put out cones or other visual warning and direct foot traffic to the safety of the opposite side of the street. 

Sounds like that didn't happen until after the accident.   I'd like to think they'd get fined for it.  

Still doesn't change my mind that the driver is totally at fault, and that it would fall under driving too fast for conditions.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

A roofing truck isn't a "utility" vehicle, it was parked in the customer's driveway and was blocking the side walk.  I am sure utility vehicles on the streets doing work are an exception and do have the orange cones & warnings but the roofing truck was in a driveway blocking a side walk.. when we have workers about, I always watch and monitor where they park... we have neighbors, no sidewalks but want both neighbors and workers to be safe. 

How is the lady doing?  I pray she gets better. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@Black Cat Back - how is your neighbor...I hope ok? 

Respected Contributor

@Suziepeach A roofing truck can be a utility vehicle. 

Truck23.jpg

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

That particular truck does look like a utility vehicle but the one in question was in a person's driveway blocking the side walk..  Utilities trucks to me are like the phone people, electric, gas, water and such..  I apologize if I come across as stupid.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee