Respected Contributor

Hornets invade my house every year this very week!`

Every year my husband takes a "hunting" trip to the UP of Michigan the third week of October.  Every year that he has been gone, I find anywhere from 10-20 hornets (wasps?) inside my house.  The only reason I know it is the SAME week is because he is gone every time it happens.  He left at 4:30am and I have already found two hornets.  And yes, they are always alive.

I have tried to find out any info on why they pick this week to invade, with no luck.  I usually have to kill them, although I would prefer not to, just to save myself and my dogs from being stung.

Any suggestions as to WHY they pick this VERY week every year?  And any suggestions as to what I can do to keep them out???  Weirdest thing ever!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Re: Hornets invade my house every year this very week!`

That's awful!  I'm so sorry for you, but I have heard this can happen time-wise.

Do you have any idea how they're getting in?  I've also read they can live in the walls of homes, you might want to listen around the house.

GOOD LUCK!

Respected Contributor

I find wasps in my house in the spring and in the fall - they aren't flying, but walking around which is even worse.  I think they are getting ready to go into hibernation.  Make sure you wear shoes the next few weeks!  Hope my doggies don't try to eat or step on them.  Thanks for the heads up - have to watch for these little buggers!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry.

You need to find how they are getting in and plug it up !

Respected Contributor

Hornets, spiders and wasps have driven us nuts this summer and early fall.  We don't have them inside the house but around our back porch, deck and front porch you literally take your life in your hands when you open the door.  My husband talked to a neighbor and they had the same problem and ended up calling an exterminator.  I really don't like to spray for bugs but DH called this morning. 

Honored Contributor

Actually it's no more weird for the bees to be in your house in the 3rd week of October than it is for your husbands hunting trip to fall in the 3rd week of October.  

These creatures also have an internal clock that pushes them to do what they do; same as hummingbirds showing up and leaving at the same time every year, and our fall ladybugs or Asian beetles swarming heavily in this area of southern WV this week.   Bees know when it is time to find their winter shelter, and for all the ones you see, there are 10x that many in your attic that you don't see.   As other threads have mentioned, field mice are also moving inside to nest for winter.   These creatures just know what they're supposed to do, and do it.   

Honored Contributor

No idea, but if they show up the same week every year, why not contact an exterminator to show up the week before to try and prevent them from coming inside?

Honored Contributor

There's a nest nearby, either hanging somewhere or underground depending on what kind of flying critter it is. It's getting cold at night so they are looking for warmth. No sense in killing the ones inside your house. More will come. You need to seek and find that nest and destroy it!

Honored Contributor

We have had a huge spider problem this year and every time I go to work in the yard I get bitten.The bites swell up and are horrendously itchy for about three days.They calm down for a couple of days and then begin itching again for a few days.The healing process lasts a couple of weeks.you can bet that next year I will have my whole yard fumigated so I can enjoy being out there again.Spiders win this year but next year they will pay.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm pretty sure the other posters are correct. They are seeking warmth with the cold weather coming. We haven't had hornets, but we've had a terrible problem for the last month with stink bugs, especially in my son's bedroom. We were squishing them, only to find out from the Agriculture folks where I work that squishing them puts out a scent/thermone (sp?) that attracts more. Now we suck them up with the vacuum and don't step on them. I've been told it's because they seek warmth when "Winter is Coming" (no Game of Thrones pun intended - LOL)  Your problems seems worse than ours since a hornets sting hurts and if your allergic...oh my goodness that's another issues. I'd call an exterminator to find out how they are getting in. 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina