Honored Contributor

Re: Hong Kong schools closed

@Foxxee wrote:

Yes, the animals can be dead, too; however, I said SOME, not all, U.S. physicians are blaming...should have used the word suggesting or even accusing.

The doctors were not saying eating live animals was the only way, but leaned in that direction thinking it was the most dangerous and easiest way to get the virus.  They discussed dead and living close to them, as well.  Some Chinese live above animals' quarters. 

The list of animals I mentioned was not exhaustive and not intended to imply all could be carrying the coronavirus, just that Chinese eat live animals for those who aren't aware. 

Bats were mentioned in coronavirus.  

Apologize if I missed pertinent information.  

@Foxxee, some people.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

When they breed dogs ,and keep them in terrible cages,and kill them i will slam any country or people!! 

We breed animals, keep them in cages, and then kill them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Yes, the animals can be dead, too; however, I said SOME, not all, U.S. physicians are blaming...should have used the word suggesting or even accusing.

The doctors were not saying eating live animals was the only way, but leaned in that direction thinking it was the most dangerous and easiest way to get the virus.  They discussed dead and living close to them, as well.  Some Chinese live above animals' quarters. 

The list of animals I mentioned was not exhaustive and not intended to imply all could be carrying the coronavirus, just that Chinese eat live animals for those who aren't aware. 

@Foxxee, some people.

@suzyQ3 

If I understand you correctly, no, not all Chinese eat live animals.  It would be some.

Actually, I noticed many Americans generalize without realizing it.  Instead of saying few, some, many, word usage implies everyone is guilty when that is not true.  I'm guilty of generalizing at times.  

Honored Contributor

Please stop being repulsive.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain, ?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Spoiler

@Foxxee wrote:

@Mindy D 

Eating the animal is no more likely than butchering the infected animal, as far as the research into SARS and MERS. In other words, you don’t necessarily have to eat an infected animal. Any contact, not just swallowing, that can get virus from an infected  into humans might cause infection. After years of research there is still some uncertainty as to the exact mode of transmission. The maket in Wunan had so many types of live and recently killed animals there. Meat was sold after slaughter and live animals were also sold and then slaughtered there. I just found out they had live civet cats. Of course they had bats and even camel meat. All these have been listed as resorvoirs in SARS or MERS. Snakes were seen at this market too. Some snakes eat bats. Time will tell. The virus, once in humans, is considered to be spread via respiratory droplet. There are plenty of uninformed physicians. They will need to keep abreast of this developing situation. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain, ?

A scary virus is bad enough. No need to blend in stories of horribly tortured animals. I find that repulsive. And off topic. (Though I can't exactly tell anyone not to go off topic since I am the queen of doing that.) Sad animal stories put one in a passive helpless onlooker position. It is disempowering.

I already know horrible things happen to animals. I don't need to spend my days watching videos about it or reading stories. I'm already motivated to do what I can.

It's just my wish that the repulsive aspect of the conversation go away. I don't expect that wish to happen. Just registering my revulsion to the direction of the topic, which was negative enough on its own.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

China is a huge country with all kinds of people living there. Making general assumptions about what 'they' eat or how 'they' live is nonsense. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Food norms around the world greatly differ from place to place. What is a delicacy to one culture is repulsive to another. It doesn’t make a culture barbaric just because of food differences. I eat raw oysters...am I barbaric? I also eat raw fish aka sushi and rare steak. My grandparents ate raw fish eggs with scrambled eggs, a cultural norm for them.  My grandmother made duck’s blood soup with the fresh blood of a duck.  This was a cultural norm for my family. And we lived in Baltimore in this USA.  

As far as this virus is concerned, there are many animal to human transmissions of diseases already known to the medical community. Be they live or dead animals. Just another reason not to even let your domestic animals come in contact with you near your mouth, nose, eyes.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These open "meat markets" are not clean places....you have dirty conditions....dirty cages...dirty  animal dander and filth in the air with  confinement....leads to disease.