Trusted Contributor
So is the registry with Disney? They should have just put their registry in the invitation.....maybe it was a little tacky by saying just donate to our honeymoon.

This topic has been brought up several times. I have mixed opinion on the way weddings and registries are done now.

My opinion is that it is a little tacky but I would just donate to the fund. It can't be any worse than $3000 steak knives and flight to Paris on my cousins registry. I am still not over that! Ugh it's so obnoxious
Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

It is tasteless in the extreme. Mentioning gifts at all is a no-no. I have received wedding invitations which include a separate printout of the places where the couple has signed up for bridal registries, which also is bad form, to say the least. Who is advising these clueless brides and grooms? We are generous people, but blatant requests for gifts is such a turnoff. The worst is receiving invitations from a bride whose parents or grandparents we have not been in touch with for many years. Sometimes it takes awhile for me to figure out who that bride IS! I only send those brides a nice card, always adding a note about who we are, how we know their parent/grandparent, etc., and wishing them well. 

The gifts or registries are never mentioned on the invite.  This info is conveyed by the relatives of the bride and groom, when other people ask them for gift ideas. 

Oh, yes, it is fine to be given a list of registries when you, as the giver, ask for it. Nothing wrong with that. And I often do! What I was referring to was someone putting such a list in with the invitation or referring to gifts on the invitation itself. Hard to believe, isn't it? But it happens. 

Frequent Contributor

I think this can be a good idea in some cases. I say this as a person in my late 20's who is not yet married. I have been living on my on for over a decade now and the man I eventually marry will be in the same boat. I have already supplied everything I need for my own house and have no interest in fancy china or anything like that. My cousin who lives in Europe did this for her wedding and it was very tastefully done. There were gifts on the registry for all different types of amounts all the way down to $5. It was convenient because we didn't have to worry about out of country registries, etc. They are also minimalists so they didn't want any more stuff. Many people do give money anyways but just as many people want to know where you are registered. I think with more people getting married later it changes what becomes the norm for such events. I will say that I do think inviting people to "buy you presents" (inviting them to your shower) when you havn't seen them in years, barely know them, or won't be inviting them to the wedding is rude. I know everyone won't agree on this topic but I thought I could throw in my 2 cents from perhaps a different vantage point. <3

Trusted Contributor
I am a little confused on how they did their registry? Did the put that on their actual invitation? If yes, very tacky... I just really don't like the go find me stuff...it really is a pet peeve...

Honored Contributor

Mickey and Minnie salt & pepper shakers, maybe candlesticks, spoon rest make for good gifts. LOL  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@mom2four wrote:

There are some honeymoon registries where a guest can buy a meal for the couple or pay for a tour, etc.  I think that type is fine and is the same as any other gift registry.  Just asking for money to pay for the honeymoon doesn't sit as well with me.  

@Moonchilde wrote:

I just stumbled across something and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Wonder how others feel.

Disneyworld has a Honeymoon Registry; like a BBB or Macy's gift registry, but - the couple whose announcement I saw online said "Please donate to our honeymoon in lieu of gifts."

In some ways I think it's good - not dealing with gifts they may not want, and being able to have a nicer honeymoon than they otherwise might. My guess is they expect to partially pay for their honeymoon in any case.

But it's flat asking for money, and $50-$75 won't go far for that kind of gift, for those who don't have a lot of money to spend. And I can forsee some people thinking, for example, I don't want my money spent on alcohol, etc.

So, I really don't know how I feel about it. My first reaction isn't "oh, nooo!" but I'm not sure it's "way to go!" either.

I suspect it might actually be what you're saying, more than just send money to DW. I don't have all the details. But if DW has a registry, it's probably compartmentalized - food, lodging, tickets, etc.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't be offended by this.  I'm going to give them a gift anway. 

When I got married we wrote on our invites "the only gift we want is the gift of your company.  the only present, your presence."

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@chi5925 wrote:

Tacky....tacky....tacky!!

I was invited to wedding where honeymoon was on registry -- they actually listed the dollar amount for:  flights, hotels, meals....so people could contribute 1 or 2 night hotel accommodations, or several dinners or 3 days worth of meals, etc.

This may be the newest wedding craze but I still think it's tacky.  Pay for your own honeymoon...isn't that what some of the cash gifts are for anyway?

Gift registry, I get....but now the  honeymoon is being added to the registry???

and don't get me started on those who want people to gift them money towards a house down payment.

What you describe IS tacky. Eww.

Honored Contributor

@sommertime wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Disneyworld has a Honeymoon Registry; like a BBB or Macy's gift registry, but - the couple whose announcement I saw online said "Please donate to our honeymoon in lieu of gifts."

What?? I would consider donating cash to a honeymoon as a GIFT! In lieu of gifts, really?? 

Clearly they meant physical, touchable, toaster & blender gifts, which they probsbly don't need if they've been cohabiting.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I just think it's tacky.

I usually give money so they can use it for whatever they want anyway.

I love buying shower gifts from a registry, but the honeymoon thing just has an "ick" factor to me.  I can't explain it - LOL

Yeah, I'm just...sounds okay, but then...kinda iffy/tacky.