Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Hooty wrote:

LOL, this is the most ridiculous post, complaining because someone is being respectable to you!  I am from the South too, and it is a form of courtesy here, Bless your heart, Honey, LOL!!!

I am not from the south, but I know when someone says " Bless your heart" down south, they are not being kind to you.  It's supposed polite way, of keeping ones mouth shut instead of saying something else.

i would not be thrilled if someone said that to me either.

@Carmie 

Actually, it wasn't meant that way originally in myarea of GA and I was raised here. 

That started when the movie, 'Steel Magnolias' came out and that's how they used the term and said that it meant that in the movie.

But that was just a movie. I would hope most people don't believe everything they see in a movie, especially a comedy.

But that meaning/use really took off! I never say it anymore, so it won't be misinterpreted.

Before that, it was something you would say to a friend/person who told they were ill, etc.

Friend says I fell yesterday and hurt my arm, response was 'bless your heart!'.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I must say ,I am glad I don't live in your neighborhood @Carmie . I would much rather be called honey, than deal with crabs ,with chips on their shoulder

If you lived in my neighborhood, you would not hear Honey and Dear being used.  Those are intimate terms and  are not considered polite to use with strangers.

No one is a crab or has a chip on their shoulder, it's just the way things are.  Different areas of the country and the world do things differently.

I have been called Honey when I was down south.  I do not feel it is a put down when I hear it from a southern person.  It is exceptable there, but not where I live.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  Wow!  I'm originally from the Northeast and never experiencedwhat you described in all the years I lived there.  Of course, the Northeast does cover a lot of territory!

Honored Contributor

Not  for me @Carmie ...I live in an easy part of the US..

Esteemed Contributor

No, I am not offended.  I have never been called a term of endearment in a disrespectful way.  Oh, I live in the NE, and I am “an educated woman,” but I try to look into people’s hearts.  I am also not insulted by people holding doors open for me, either.  And I tell those I love, “I love you” much more often than I used to.  I’ll be 75 this summer.  Life is short.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3   I didn't say it was this way for all the people in the NE, but it is where I live and I do live in the NE.

Everyone is different and every area is different.  Nothing is 100%...nothing.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I must say ,I am glad I don't live in your neighborhood @Carmie . I would much rather be called honey, than deal with crabs ,with chips on their shoulder

@cherryNo kidding.  Too many angry people in this world, looking for a fight.

I can just imagine some poor soul looking for directions and saying "Thanks Hon" and getting the stuffing beat out of them.

Yeesh.  I can think of some stronger words I would prefer not to hear.

And yes, my DH does say "Hon" to me and so do I.  I say it to my DDIL, DS, and grandchildren.

I must be the most uncouth person.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Honey???Dear????

[ Edited ]

From NE, now in the MW.  Can't say I've heard it a lot.  I don't particularly care for the term to be used by strangers, but it doesn't offend me.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

If the person has a south Philly accent, it's an insult and the "look" is given to them.

haha.gif

@SahmIamAs someone who grew up in Philly, I have to agree w/you on that one!  You can also add Souf Joisey to the list too. http://oi59.tinypic.com/23uzrjo.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I consider the source. If the person has a southern accent (or country accent as my Daddy used to say), I get it. If the person has a south Philly accent, it's an insult and the "look" is given to them.

I find "Sweetheart" to be an insult. I've never heard it said in an endearing way. It's more of a "Now look, Sweetheart......."  Yeah, there's going to be a problem all right.

I’ll say, “ThanksSweetie!” when I get my coffee...

Again, it’s a Southern Thing....