Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather a salesperson or whoever call me honey or dear, than be rude and unfriendly.

Esteemed Contributor

@sydsgma1 wrote:

Is any one else offended by being called honey or dear by sales people, check out clerks, members of the medical profession etc. I may have silver hair, but I am highly educated and perfectly competent.  Arghhhhh!!!!

This is probably a dumb question, but what does being highly educated and perfectly competent have to do with it?

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@sydsgma1 wrote:

Is any one else offended by being called honey or dear by sales people, check out clerks, members of the medical profession etc. I may have silver hair, but I am highly educated and perfectly competent.  Arghhhhh!!!!

This is probably a dumb question, but what does being highly educated and perfectly competent have to do with it?

@happycat, the OP, along with several others, think that use of endearments in some cases is condescending -- as in, don't worry your prettly lttle head -- the implication being that the person thinks that you are not as competent or smart as he (or she) is.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@sydsgma1 wrote:

@happycat, the OP, along with several others, think that use of endearments in some cases is condescending -- as in, don't worry your prettly lttle head -- the implication being that the person thinks that you are not as competent or smart as he (or she) is.

Thank you, @suzyQ3. I can see where one may not like being told not to "worry their pretty little head". I may not like that myself, depending on the circumstances.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@sydsgma1 wrote:

Thank you, @suzyQ3. I can see where one may not like being told not to "worry their pretty little head". I may not like that myself, depending on the circumstances.

Just to be clear, @happycat , that is what is sometimes implied, if not outright said.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Actually, I love referrals of endearment and use them often myself.  This lets me know you see me I am a person and you acknowledge my presence in the world - so, thank you sweetie pie.

Super Contributor

NOPE! don't bother me one bit....probably because I am quick to say "Oh Hon" even at work talking on the phone, and if they get offended then all I can say is sorry!

Trusted Contributor

I don't like it.  I am more of a "Ma'am" person.

Trusted Contributor

I should add these are the same people who don't know how to say "thank you."

Honored Contributor

May I?  Short snippet:  dad as he got older couldn't remember the great grandson & great granddaughter's names.  So he use to just say, "the boy" and "the girl".  LOL

Then there's Tarzan and Jane:    BOY  ungowa.  LOL