Respected Contributor

Re: Honesty, Please -- Amount of Clothing Question

I have a lot of clothing.....I guess. I think it is all relative as a lot to me may not be a lot to someone else.

I am very selective about my clothing purchases and buy most of my things in the fall and winter. I wear a lot of jeans and tees in the summer. I do not put my money into summer things at all. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

There are so many variables to this question of what is "enough." I live in a four season climate and that makes a difference. If you work and a dress code also makes a difference. I have pared my closet down to what fits and is a pleasure to wear. But this was my choice; I would not enjoy having a partner critiquing my closet, 

I agree with all of this.  Lifestyle, location, lots of things make a big difference in how much clothing might be sufficient for one person but not another.

What I would be more interested in, though, is what I bolded above.  I certainly would not enjoy having a partner critiquing my closets, either, and I wonder if that's what this is.  Is it good-natured kidding, or is it something that's upsetting to him?  Is he just accepting that this is what it is, or is he being critical to the point that he's demanding things be different?  Was it a serious complaint or just an observation?

It's not my business, of course, but that's what jumped out at me when I read the OP.  This may or may not be about clothing at all.  (The OP would know, and of course she's under no obligation to share.)

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Mominohio

interesting......i also grew up during the 60s and 70s and we really had no dress code in public school......and could wear pants or shorts to school.

Shoekitty

thats odd, where did you live?  The national Education association required girls to wear dresses to school during the 60's.  I dont think it was until 1974 pantsuits were allowed.  Code was length of skirt had to hit floor when kneeling.  I graduated  in 1966, and no pants to school. Actually i don't think girls thought to wear them, except during certain occasions.  During the early 60's it was skirts and tops.  Especially tight skirts, and pleated skirts.  When the mini was popular, schools enforced length.  I lived in california, in the Ba Area.  We were pretty progressive.   They didnt allow denim jeans on girls until mid 70's.  At least that I knew of.  We still wore those girdle and nylons in 1966. Then things started relaxing.  but different cities might have over rode code.  In the late 60's it was the hippie era.  Long skirts, beads, and handmade sandals. But we were close to San Francisco, so that had a lot to do with our style.  By mid 70's they were lucky the kids wore clothes to school.  Lol

I don't think it's odd.

I grew up in the 60's.  We had to wear dresses to school until parents complained that we were standing outside at bus stops in snow with bare legs day after day.  We then were allowed to wear pants to school during the winter, and before too long pants were allowed all the time.  This was all in the late 60's, so we were wearing pants long before 1974.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have actually dug out dresses and shirts from the 1990's, and had them altered this summer!!!  I do not care for the new styles.  I am not conservative and prefer a more ecclectic, boho style.  And i love the comfort of a long dress.  I am 70 almost, and do not have no need for a career wardrobe.

Back in the day Iwas a huge fan of GARB, Nothing Matches, Blue Fish, Nostalgia  and boutique style clothes, etc.  i wore midi length dresses and skirts back then.  Well, I have lost a couple pounds and shrunk an inch and a half !  Plus I used to wear those high wedge, platform style shoes.....so the clothes are way long on me now..Steve Madden was becoming popular During this time.

I did do huge clothing dumps, and donations since then.  Minimizing my closet space. But some outfits I just couldn't part with.  They were very unique, comfortable and practically new looking, not to mention expensive!  They were all made in US A, a few even made their own fabric.  So thinking like the museum supervisor I was, I rolled them up in acid free tissue and stored them.  Forgot about them, until last spring when my husband gave me the preverbal threat, do something with this, or I am dumping them, lol.  I took about 4 so far ro seamstress, she hemmed them and did an alteration and mending on some.  They look fabulous!  No kidding.  For the first time in a long time, i loved my clothes for spring and summer.  I averaged14 bucks for a new hem, and about 25 on the skirt that needed repair.  Very happy.  I think this is the first time in my life I actually used something I saved so long.  Have you ever said, I will just save this because I will need it someday?  I said it all the time, and stuff just rotted and I wound up throwing it away anyway!!  But this time, I actually used it after 20 years!!

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Mominohio

interesting......i also grew up during the 60s and 70s and we really had no dress code in public school......and could wear pants or shorts to school.

Shoekitty

thats odd, where did you live?  The national Education association required girls to wear dresses to school during the 60's.  I dont think it was until 1974 pantsuits were allowed.  Code was length of skirt had to hit floor when kneeling.  I graduated  in 1966, and no pants to school. Actually i don't think girls thought to wear them, except during certain occasions.  During the early 60's it was skirts and tops.  Especially tight skirts, and pleated skirts.  When the mini was popular, schools enforced length.  I lived in california, in the Ba Area.  We were pretty progressive.   They didnt allow denim jeans on girls until mid 70's.  At least that I knew of.  We still wore those girdle and nylons in 1966. Then things started relaxing.  but different cities might have over rode code.  In the late 60's it was the hippie era.  Long skirts, beads, and handmade sandals. But we were close to San Francisco, so that had a lot to do with our style.  By mid 70's they were lucky the kids wore clothes to school.  Lol

I don't think it's odd.

I grew up in the 60's.  We had to wear dresses to school until parents complained that we were standing outside at bus stops in snow with bare legs day after day.  We then were allowed to wear pants to school during the winter, and before too long pants were allowed all the time.  This was all in the late 60's, so we were wearing pants long before 1974.

Shoekitty said,

well I am a california girl.  No snow here. No shorts or pants to school. We wore them on sadie hawkins day and a couple other occasions. But they had had to be clam diggers or cut off jeans rolled just over knee cap.  My ex husbands fmily lived in Duluth, MN. No pants either.  But i think they wore a snow suit thing and changed my ex sister in law said.  But that was pre-63

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Mominohio

Shoekitty

I don't think it's odd.

Shoekitty said,

well I am a california girl.  No snow here. No shorts or pants to school. We wore them on sadie hawkins day and a couple other occasions. But they had had to be clam diggers or cut off jeans rolled just over knee cap.  My ex husbands fmily lived in Duluth, MN. No pants either.  But i think they wore a snow suit thing and changed my ex sister in law said.  But that was pre-63

I grew up in NY. 

My point, though, was that you had mentioned it being an NEA requirement, and that pants weren't allowed until 1974.  I've never heard that, and I don't see how that could be true on a national level.  (I see that I'm not the only poster here who wore pants to school during that time period.)

Honored Contributor

Not much overall. My husband and I share a modest size closet and we each have half if that gives you an idea. 

Frequent Contributor

I think it's "funny" that a few responses focused on the fact that my husband thinks I have too many clothes.  I am not offended one bit by anything my husband says to me, and vice versa.  Probably why we've stayed happily married for 45 years.  If you are offended by your huband 'critiquing" something, well, get over it.

I believe he thinks that having a lot of clothes that are for particular occasions, events, etc., is a waste of money.  But we're a partnership, we both have worked all our married lives, and if I want to buy something, I do.  My question was about, say, comparatively speaking, how many pairs of jeans do most women own, black dresses, winter coats, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Because I don't have to share closerts anymore, I actually have two very large walk in closets full.  However, I have changed sizes constantly since last winter (from large to small) so I have one closet full of things I wear now and one filled with things that no longer fit.  I could probably scale down, but I hate to give up things I've enjoyed wearing and might need their size again. If I continue to be scarecrow thin, I'll probably start to thin things out mid winter. I feel selfish keeping so many things when there are so many people (Houston especially) who need clothing.  

To answer your question, do you actually wear most of your things?  Or are they just collecting dust?

I was sitting here ready to ask the same question, does she wear the clothes or are they just taking up space. Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I would love to just have those things I wear and love and THAT FIT. BUT INSTEAD I HAVE THREE SIZES OF CLOTHES

the 2/4 size that I was 5 years ago and🙏🏻 dream to be again....( if only!)

The  size 6/8 that I am today...👎☹️

AND  the size 10 that I hope and pray 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻I NEVER  am again.

SeaMaiden...Out of curiosity how tall are you?  When I was a size six at 5 '6 1/2" everyone told me I was too thin.  Even if you get to a size ten that is not bad but it all depends on your height.  I get the feeling you are tiny having worn 2/4 size...petite?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam