Esteemed Contributor

Re: Honesty, Please -- Amount of Clothing Question

@sunshine45 wrote:

to be perfectly honest, i would describe my wardrobe as being " a ridiculous amount" and i dont need a man to tell me that . LOL

it is what it is.......

Same here.....but i have been working at cutting it down lately......buying less, donating more...........feels good!

Honored Contributor

I hate spending money on clothing, and I hate shopping.   Since retiring, I have right sized my closet to only what I need.  My closet has 4 pair of slacks, 2 skirts (never worn) and about 10 tops, along with 2 pair of heavy drapes on hangers, 3 coats, 2 robes, and several tote bags.  That closet also has one large Rubbermaid tote, and several space bags stacked on one side.   

A small dresser holds holds all of my underwear, pajamas, casual everyday shirts, shorts, and pants.   I will easily qualify with the responding group who have the least amount of clothing, and shoes.   

Honored Contributor

Have you seen his tools, golf clubs, hunting equipment, fishing equipment, auto gizmos,  electronic toys,, fill-in-the-blank??

Are you bankrupting your family?

Tell him to take a hike and go buy himself something, he'll feel better!!

I'm still working so I have 2 weeks worth of "work" clothes - trousers/skirts and tops.

Plus some more casual outfits for weekends and a few dressy things for special occasions.   I also have about a dozen or so dresses.   Lets not talk about shoes and bags.

I am in the south so I can wear most of my clothes year round.

I buy a particular style of Rafella trousers at the mall when they have a sale and yes I buy one in every color -- blue, black, gray, brown.   They last about 2 years, then they start looking ragged.   Then it's time to buy more,

@SAM55

Super Contributor

It's none of his business. 

Trusted Contributor

I do have too many!   But they fit in my closet and I sooo enjoy them!!!Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

I have a lot of clothing and my closet is filled.  I change our my bedroom closet for the season and then I will donate some and out the rest that I want to save in plastic containers that go down in the basement.  I also have a free stnding closet and that is filled.  If it wasn't for the donating each season, I would definitely be out of room.  I love clothes and I enjoy shopping.  I have been working on my closet for the fall and wintertime now.  So I started changing around and already have two bags with clothes for donation.  Now I have to make room in the basement closet to put all the summer and spring jackets etc, and the tops all go in the plastic containers.  I also have a few dozen pairs of shoes so they will have to be weeded out.  It becomes a hobby just to find a place for everything.  So I know what you mean.

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

Hey SeaMaiden .. I'd take that size 10 any day of the week ...

God Bless you !!!!

@Big Joanie   I guess it is all relative...we all have  our demons.  I know you have mentioned having issues with food.  I have had my share  of issues with food over my life as well.  It is never easy.  Bless you right back!🙂

Trusted Contributor

I have a ridiculous amount of clothes.  I consider my clothing as my hobby.  I enjoy organizing my clothes for the season (we have four distinct seasons here) and adding new pieces.  I am retired, but I have an active life and need to look nice for the things I do each week.  

I live at our lake house all summer each year.  It is located in a resort area that is very casual and I only have a small amount of clothing there.  I do enjoy the simplicity of that, but I don't think I could do it year round.  

Valued Contributor

@SAM55 wrote:

My husband thinks I have a ridiculous amount of clothing (and shoes, handbags, etc.)

I wondered how many pairs of pants other women have, dresses, tops, sweaters?

I have a double closet with just blouses, short sleeved and long sleeved.  And I have a large dresser with t-shirts adn short-sleeve tops.  I have a large closet organized in sections for sweaters and cardigans, and another closet with hanging jeans and pants.  It seems like a lot, but I hear women call into the Q and say they purchased all colors of this pant or that pant, or bought this or that blouse in every color, so I'm thinking my stash isn't over the top.  Would love to honestly know the amount of clothing other women have accumulated.

I tend to go in phases. If I like something, I buy multiples and use them. Lately, if I haven't worn them in 1 year, I pack them up and donate. Also, I've given up on my "maybe someday I'll fit back into these"...and donated them. Most of what I have now are things that I wear every day...well, except the Dooney bags...which tend to keep piling up Smiley Tongue

Respected Contributor

define ridiculous....we all have different needs for clothing....everything I own fits in two drawers...but that  is all I need