Honored Contributor

Honestly, I’m really NOT easily offended

but this new eTrades Retirement Fund commercial really does annoy me.

I know some very capable older people who hold down all kinds of jobs for all kinds of reasons. They are dignified, successful, contributing members of society.

The cartoonish elderly depicted in that commercial are nothing like my friends and associates, some of whom are still employed past the typical age for retirement.

As it happens my state “borrowed” part of my pension which, of course, will never see its way to my pocket,

Stick to business, eTrades, and give up on your comedy commercials.

Respected Contributor

Re: Honestly, I’m really NOT easily offended

I'm not familiar with that commercial, but I do find it sad that the senior population is too often the butt of jokes.  Some may say, "Where's your sense of humor?", or "Lighten up", or "You have to laugh about it."  Well, no I don't. That's not my sense of humor.

I would like to see more respect for seniors rather than seeing them as a punch line.

Honored Contributor

Doesn’t bother me one itty bitty bit. I obviously didn’t need your company to retire🙂

Esteemed Contributor

Ageism is real -- as so many have experienced in the workforce after age 50. I'm surprised this company wasn't sensitive to this in their advertising. I also don't need them for retirement advise.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@violann    So you've expressed your annoyance with the e-trades commercial here on a QVC bulletin board.  Have you expressed your feelings to those who have a vested interest, i.e. e-Trades?  When you see an ad your first action should be to find a "contact us" address and let them know how you feel about it.  I do this from time to time and have see several ads disappear, probably because others were offended too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@jeanlakewrote:

Ageism is real -- as so many have experienced in the workforce after age 50. I'm surprised this company wasn't sensitive to this in their advertising. I also don't need them for retirement advise.

@jeanlake  I haven't seen the commercial but you are right-ageism is real.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Not sure which commercial you're referring to, so I'll check it out later.  However, baby boomers and the generation before us make up a huge part of our population.  We have a lot of power and it comes from our pocketbooks.  

Respected Contributor

The Toyota ads that featured the snotty, brash blonde kid had enough complaints they pulled them. With negative feedback, firms do listen. I wish they would get rid of that snotty, smug fruit cup drinker too—guess I should contact Dole.

Honored Contributor

The ad is directed at younger people to encourage them to invest for their retirement — a worthy goal.  I don’t like the ads particularly but I’m not offended.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@violann    So you've expressed your annoyance with the e-trades commercial here on a QVC bulletin board.  Have you expressed your feelings to those who have a vested interest, i.e. e-Trades?  When you see an ad your first action should be to find a "contact us" address and let them know how you feel about it.  I do this from time to time and have see several ads disappear, probably because others were offended too.

We have to start somewhere when we see something online, that annoys us.  So we ask other people, where we usually post online, what they think. 

The OP is doing that, and may take it further.