Honored Contributor

Re: Honestly, I’m really NOT easily offended

@september I agree with your response...sometimes I feel a little offended by things and wonder if I am just overly sensitive about that topic or issue.

Esteemed Contributor

Not offended.  The more people that think I am old the more help I get.  I think it is kind of funny.  I have doors opened for me, discounts I don't even ask for, people thinking I AM NOT CAPABLE OF DOING THIS OR THAT  ( I get all sorts of help) LOL, and just an atmosphere of I COULD NOT POSSIBLY KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnieluwrote:

Not offended.  The more people that think I am old the more help I get.  I think it is kind of funny.  I have doors opened for me, discounts I don't even ask for, people thinking I AM NOT CAPABLE OF DOING THIS OR THAT  ( I get all sorts of help) LOL, and just an atmosphere of I COULD NOT POSSIBLY KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. 

Good comment, and if you feel that you benefit from whatever will make your life better I say go for it.

It’s the depiction of the elderly as inept because of age that makes me wince. In especially the vignette with the lifeguard, the contrast between him and the two supple young things running with him appears to be based solely on his appearance, not on his competence.

in the fire fighter vignette, the small thin man would not be permitted to serve as a fire fighter if he were not able to perform the task,

The rock and roll tune spinner? No way to tell from the brief appearance whether she’s equal to the job or not, no matter how old or how young she is.

I actually DO intend to let eTrades know what I’m thinking about this, and yes, I think one of the valuable aspects of this board is its wide array of opinions.

Thanks to all!

Respected Contributor

I'm in my mid 60s, have more energy than most people half my age and have not lost a step.  I laugh when I'm able to get Senior discounts and certainly have no problem taking advantage of what I'm being offered.  I don't offend easily either, but do think it's a shame that this country kicks it's seniors to the curb instead of embracing them and showing them the utmost respect , as they do in Europe and Asia.

Honored Contributor

I have not seen the e-trade commercial. I will keep on the look out for it.

I have noticed commercials that are aimed at a younger demographic. The one that sticks out is a Tide commercial. I think it was shown during every commercial break for many months. 

It is a middle aged couple folding clothes. They get to Grandma's underwear and make a comment. And then Grandpa appears in his underwear. Apparently, he forgot to put on his pants.

Really? That is the best Proctor and Gamble could do to make you want to buy Tide detergent?

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen that  particular commercial but advertising in general and the entertainment industry does demean, belittle and put older people in that "old fool box".  

Esteemed Contributor

A couple of years ago I noticed too many TV commercials and comedy shows depicted males in their 20s, 30s, 40s as being oafs. I know pendalums swing wide during times of social change, and I'm all for empowering women, but making males appear inferior isn't the way. Just my opinion.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

@SunValleywrote:

The Toyota ads that featured the snotty, brash blonde kid had enough complaints they pulled them. With negative feedback, firms do listen. I wish they would get rid of that snotty, smug fruit cup drinker too—guess I should contact DoleI

I really, really disliked that Toyota commercial!  Don't much care for the fruit cup drinker either!
Respected Contributor

@Phantom41wrote:

@SunValleywrote:

The Toyota ads that featured the snotty, brash blonde kid had enough complaints they pulled them. With negative feedback, firms do listen. I wish they would get rid of that snotty, smug fruit cup drinker too—guess I should contact DoleI

I really, really disliked that Toyota commercial!  Don't much care for the fruit cup drinker either!

I decided to do more than complain here, so I sent Dole a calmly worded summary of my dislike for the condescending tone in their commercial. I also pointed out that a fair number of folks consume the fruit syrup with their fruit and, gasp, are not drainers...lol