Valued Contributor

A gorgeous picture. I just finished Mary Dahiem's Alpine series and she writes so much about places in Washington. I would google where she wrote about and wish I could see the whole state. She makes me feel like I have been there with her descriptions, but I would love to see in person.

Honored Contributor

I live in a beach town in SoCal called Hermosa Beach. We are a tiny three-mile mostly residential strip that hugs the ocean. Today is the four-year anniversary of our successful election that sent an oil company packing Instead of drilling near our houses and beachfront.

image.png

image.png

image.png

And this last one is of the Strand, which is a bike/pedestrian bath along the sand and where I do my daily walking:

image.png

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@spud188 wrote:

Another good view is the rooftop parking garage at Sacred Heart. We Spent the 4th July one year up there watching Fireworks at Riverfront Park.

But the view you posted is a good almost home one too

———

The rooms at Sacred Heart have such great views of the city. The cafeteria, also has great views. Views from the cafeteria, were even better, before The Heart Institute was built. 

Trusted Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

That is a beautiful picture of Spokane! 

Here are two classic views of Boston, Ma.  The first is of Boston harbor, the downtown skyline & major financial office district, with hotels & residential towers also.  On far right is the original Custom House with the clock tower then added later with clock & spire on top.  Other than the Custom House tower.

None of these buildings were there when I grew up when we went "downtown" to go shopping (where all the major stores were before shopping centers were built).  Our famous New England Aquarium is also right on the waterfront in front of the Custom House.

Boston-Skyline.jpg.optimal.jpg

Boston_Skyline_Over_the_Charles_River (1).jpg

The 2nd picture is another skyline view of Boston about a mile further inland, as seen from across the Charles River on the Cambridge side.  This section is known as the Back Bay with the Longfellow Bridge crossing from Cambridge to Boston.  Famous for it's brownstones, the beautiful old 3-4 story homes all attached, (now very expensive apartments & condos), along 4 streets, Beacon St., Commonwealth Ave, Marlborough St, & Newbury St., and the Back Bay skyline of office, hotel & residential towers. 

The 'original' John Hancock Tower is on far left with pointed spire, and to the right of that is the modern all glass John Hancock tower, built in 1975 is the tallest at 60 stories & is now known as 200 Clarendon.  On the far right is the Prudential tower. 

The area with all green trees is the Esplanade along the Charles River, most famously known for our fantastic & fabulous July 4th celebration & fireworks and you can see the 'dome' of the Hatch Shell where that all takes place in the lower left just above & beyond the bridge.

—-     

Wonderful pictures of Boston.  

I attented an educational seminar, there, 6 years ago. 

Beautiful city, and I was SO disappointed that virtually every minute of our 5 day stay, was accounted for. 

I’ll get back one day, on my own time, and explore all I want!🤓😉

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I live in a beach town in SoCal called Hermosa Beach. We are a tiny three-mile mostly residential strip that hugs the ocean. Today is the four-year anniversary of our successful election that sent an oil company packing Instead of drilling near our houses and beachfront.

image.png

image.png

image.png

And this last one is of the Strand, which is a bike/pedestrian bath along the sand and where I do my daily walking:

image.png

I just realized that home town was likely referring to where we were born.

I grew up in a part of Los Angeles often referred to as the Fairfax District. We lived just a few steps from the border of Beverly Hills, the joke being that we were Beverly Hills adjacent. :-)

It's not particularly picturesque, but it is steeped in history. When I was growing up, Fairfax was home to so many Jewish victims of the Holocaust and their families. It permeated my childhood.

It also was an integral part of show biz., so close to Hollywood. Fun, that was -- seeing Rock Hudson at Rexall Drugs, etc. My dad was briefly a movie agent, and his caricature hung among the others at The Brown Derby.

Here's a picture of the famed Farmer's Market as it existed then and of Cantors, the quintessential Jewish Deli still a family business :

image.png

image.png

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@SuhseK 

Glad you had a great time & not enough time to see & do everything!  😊 So you have to come back to visit.  There really is alot to see & do not just in Boston but also surrounding cities & towns.  Walk & visit the sites along the Freedom Trail from colonial days in founding of our country.  Shop the expensive shops along Newbury street and through the Back Bay.  See Fenway Park home of the Red Sox, visit museums such as the Museum of Fine Arts, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum where sadly 13 works of art were stolen in 1990 valued at $500million & never recovered, the Institute of Contemporary Art, the Science Museum & the New England Aquarium just to name a few.  Definitely have to also make a trip out to Lexington & Concord where the first shots of the Revolution occurred too!  Our great seacoast in the northshore area of Rockport, famous Gloucester fishing fleet, etc. and of course in the south all of Cape Cod & our beautiful Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket Islands, and the Berkshires out in western MA where you can visit Stockbridge, see the Norman Rockwell Museum, and go to concerts at Tanglewood in Lenox.  And so much more all around!  Enjoy your visit when you come back to visit again!  

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK,  my parents and I fell in love with the Spokane area, during one of our many trips through the American West--  wonderful place!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Hometown Pride

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

@SuhseK,  my parents and I fell in love with the Spokane area, during one of our many trips through the American West--  wonderful place!

——— 

Thank you!  It’s grown SO much, since I was growing up here.  So has the metro area, like beautiful Coeur d Alene, ID, of course on CDA Lake. 

Growth has  its advantages, but also problems. The Notrhwest is a beautiful place to live, but, becoming very expensive.