Esteemed Contributor

Re: Homemade/Handmade things from the past that you cherish

@tdog wrote:

@qvcfreak wrote:

I have baby blankets my mom made for our son as well as a full size she made him when he was in high school. I also have crocheted throws my mil made for us. My aunt who was very poor made our son a quilt from her old dresses, I absolutely love each and every one of them. 

That is true love.

Yes it is...

Honored Contributor

I have a dining room table and what was a record cabinet (remember black round records?), both solid walnut that my dad made while teaching industrial arts in a high school.  He later became a corporate personnel manager and did no more woodworking, but these two pieces are beaitiful.  He was a perfectionist.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@asoutherngirl wrote:

mominohio, I recently posted on another thread that devolved into a mess, that I was the 6th generation recipient of a hope chest, and how I cherished the hand crocheted covers, quilts, tatted pillowcases... those are treasures that can never be replaced.

Wow!  Six generations, that's wonderful Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've made this suggestion before, but I am going to repeat myself.  My parents have been gone since the mid 1960's, and I still miss them every day.  Years ago I could close my eyes and hear their voices in my head soooo clearly.  Now time has passed, and I can no longer hear them.  I hope that those of you who are still blessed to have loved ones who are aging will find a tape recorder somewhere and make some recordings of their voices.  One day you'll look back, listen and thank your lucky stars that you have such a treasure.  It's too late for me, but not for you.

And while you're at it, ask them questions about their parents, grand parents, etc.  You'll treasure those memories in years to come as well. 

Valued Contributor

Perkup- that was some really great advice. We have some old camcorder tapes of past relatives, our immediate family and when the kids were little too. Love to watch these to hear the voices, see and remember the home decor, clothing, and hair styles. 

Honored Contributor

I have a few handmade dolls and stuffed animals that my mother made. She always made them for the church picnic. I gave one to a friend's daughter who was in the hospital having serious surgery. My mom loved to sew so these keepsakes are great memories of her. My mom passed away a few years ago. 

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I've made this suggestion before, but I am going to repeat myself.  My parents have been gone since the mid 1960's, and I still miss them every day.  Years ago I could close my eyes and hear their voices in my head soooo clearly.  Now time has passed, and I can no longer hear them.  I hope that those of you who are still blessed to have loved ones who are aging will find a tape recorder somewhere and make some recordings of their voices.  One day you'll look back, listen and thank your lucky stars that you have such a treasure.  It's too late for me, but not for you.

And while you're at it, ask them questions about their parents, grand parents, etc.  You'll treasure those memories in years to come as well. 

This is a most important piece of advice. I have many movies with my mom in them, as she is still living, but my father passed in the 70's and we had no movie cameras then. I do have one cassette tape that was recorded as he was teaching a Sunday School class, and I want to get it transferred to CD, before it is lost to the ravages of time.

I occasionally set up a video camera on a tripod and just let it run during a family get together. Amazing the fun stories and voices you hear, in addition to the video part. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a quilt from my Nova Scotia great-grandmother that I cherish.  Things from ancestors, even if one hasn't met them, are so precious.

Super Contributor

Irshgrl,, the thread was under Community Chat and was entitled "Did you have a hope chest when you were young?".  I thought it would have been a sweet and interesting topic and I could not believe the direction it took.  Board moderators finally closed it.

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Respected Contributor

One of my favorite hand stitched quilts was given to me years ago, by the mother one of my first long term boyfriends.

He's been out of the picture for years! She is now 92! I still send her a Christmas card and cherish my quilt!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield