Honored Contributor

Re: Homemade/Handmade things from the past that you cherish

I have the baby quilt, my maternal grandmother made for me in 1955; it is in perfect condition.   I also have the baby afghans, baby sweaters, and capes she crocheted for my daughters.   I have an entire plastic tote of doilies she crocheted, pillow cases she embroidered, and dresser scarves she painted when she was into fabric painting.  I also have a plastic tote of necklaces she strung when she got into beading.   

Super Contributor

mominohio, how wonderful that you are passing the treasures of your family's past to the next generations.  Years from now when we are not here, you will have descendants speaking of you and being so grateful that you left them with these precious reminders of who they are.

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Honored Contributor

We used to have a neighbor at camp that made gorgeous  quilts all by hand. One day she was asking me about what colors I had used to decorate our home and I told her burgundy in the living room and navy in the den. A few months later she gave me a lovely throw she had made with burgundy colors on one side and navy on the other. She passed away shortly after that so we dearly treasure that quilt as it reminds us of our friend.

Honored Contributor

My grandmother knitted, sewed and crocheted.  

But what I cherish the most are little paintings of flowers she did free hand.  

She also did flowers in needlepoint, that I have framed.

She was all about flowers and it showed in her yard, too.  Even her vegetable garden was made beautiful with flowers.

She also decorated cakes with live flowers for special ocassions.

Honored Contributor

My maternal grandmother was very talented when it came to sewing and cooking, I did not inherit any of her fine handy work, but enjoyed her fabulous cooking when she was alive. My Aunt has passed on to me some of her recipies which I make and treasure. I on the other hand used to do cross stitch and years ago made my mother and mil samplers for xmas. When my mom died my sister helped herself to my sampler, but when my mil died her sampler came back to me. My husband hand crafted the frame the sampler is in so it's extra special to me.

Super Contributor

mominohio, I know that your descendants will be forever grateful to you for being their historian.

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Esteemed Contributor

I have lots of things that are homemade/handmade that I treasure to this day.

The thing that immediately comes to mind is a "jewelry box" my daughter made for me when she was 6 for Mothers day. My daughter has always been creative but I still look at this and cannot believe a 6 yr old made it and she made it entirely by herself. My mother took her to buy the stuff she needed but that is it, she didn't help her one bit and my mother said my daughter would get really irritated with her if she tried to help her. 

She started off with a regular cigar box and took elbow macaroni noodles, spray paint and a hot glue gun. Sounds simple enough but she spray painted all the macaroni before she put them on the box. Half she painted a turquoise blue and half she painted silver. After they dried she applied them to the box with a hot glue gun. Sounds simple enough but she applied them in the most perfect chevron pattern and it was even all the way around with not a mistake to be found. After she applied all the macaroni to the box with the glue gun in the chevron pattern, she sprayed the box with a clear paint, protecting it. It really is beautiful. I doubt many adults could do this as precise as she did. 

I still keep this in my bedroom, right on my makeup vanity and store my most worn jewelry in there. I have gotten so many comments over in the past 20 yrs and people are truly amazed that a 6 yr old made this. I can't tell you how much I love this jewelry box. It is everything to me. She worked on this present for a little over 2 weeks, making sure the chevron pattern was just right and it came out so perfectly. My daughter would work on it daily down in the basement of the house we were living at the time. When she was done working on it for the day, she would put it in the corner, under a box and she was so adamant that I didn't peek. She didn't want the surprised ruined at all. 

She was so proud of that box and to this day she still is. At that moment I knew she would grow up to do something creative like jewelry design or an artist of some sort and today she runs a successful ETSY store where she makes all of her products. 

Out of all the expensive and extravagant presents I have been given, this is by far my most favorite present ever bar none. I treasure it. I look at it everyday and it makes me both happy and sad. Happy that I have a wonderfully thoughtful, talented and compassionate adult daughter and sad that I don't have that sweet little girl. 

I love this thread @Mominohio, it is so fun to read all the wonderful replies. Someone taking the time to make something and working so hard  will always beat a store bought gift, IMO. Not that I don't treasure those too but there is something so special about something someone made with their own two hands with love. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@asoutherngirl wrote:

Hi there mominohio.  Yes, the thread was one which devolved into a  mess about having a chest either made one stupid or a snob!  I was always pleased that my family history (which can be traced to 1682), could be touched, held, seen, as more than just a legal document.  The stories of the women who crafted the articles, was always passed along with the piece itself.  As I have passed to my daughter, the seventh recipient of this particular chest, I share with her the history of her family.  By the way, one of our female ancestors was a doctor, trained in France in 1901.  Her daughter, a teacher, traveled the Appalachians, collecting handmade items, and making recordings of original music in the area.

@asoutherngirl wow! How interesting and amazing for your family. What a great thing to have and know about your ancestors. 

I cannot believe a thread would go in that ridiculous direction. Well actually I can but it still shocks me the bizarre way some posters think. Which forum was this thread under? Is it still there?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have my Moms cross stitch items, her hand made quilt, and I have my Nanas afghans she crocheted. I also kept everything my children ever made from school, as well as their awards and school pictures. I am in the process of going through my childrens things and I am going to pack them in crates and give everything to them soon. I already made each of my 2 children photo albums of their younger lives which they will also get before I am gone. I also have things my grandchildren made me, and all of their pictures as well. My oldest granddaughter is an artist and I have paintings she made me proudly hanging in our home.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Ladies, regarding your quilts - please take care and make sure they are not in direct sun, and if folded, refold them every couple of months. If you have a darker room, place those quilts on the bed or a quilt rack and let them be seen! They are true treasures. I have nothing as both my parents were orphans, however, I am a quilter and have made sure my daughters and grandkids each have plenty of quilts to keep and hopefully pass down.