Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Home Shopping Not Selling Much Jewelry Anymore

And here I thought they went to 99% kostume krap because that IS what sells now.  Oh well.  Since they all but stopped selling fine (gold) jewelry I don't even look anymore.   I have zero interest in costume jewelry.

hsn always sold poor quality jewelry so I left that boat ages ago.

When Evine was ValueVision they sold THE best quality fine jewelry (all gold and some gems), also for the best prices.   That slowly devolved to where everybody else has gone.  Even Chuck sells very little fine jewelry now.  He has a couple of costume lines.   After ValueVision, QVC used to have the next best thing in terms of quality 14k and 18k gold jewelry with quality gems and such, also for good prices.

I just figured they were all following the money.  Maybe people have had enough costume jewelry.  Might be time to move  back to fine jewelry.

Respected Contributor

I have a ton of beautiful real jewelry, like another poster, enough to last a lifetime. I personally have been excited to see better costume jewelry like what's available today. I get bored with things quickly and like to change things up. There are still plenty of gorgeous pieces of fine jewelry in jewelry stores if I get an itch for that 😊

Valued Contributor

I don't think that it's because people don't want it anymore as much as it is they don't want to pay high prices for junk.  I'm not going to pay a hundred dollars for a piece of plastic held on my a string, or even wimpy leather for that matter.

Also, "statement" necklaces have been overdone.  Just too many.  They are hard to store, and too memorable.  You can't mix and match them with other things for the most part.  Again, most are plastic.

The prices charged for diamond "dust" are outrageous.  I also don't want silicone filled gold pieces.  Hallow is better, because at least the value is there as far as the weight, and meltdown value.  I like "honest gold"!

There will always people who are willing to pay for quality, not overpriced dum/bdowned junk.  They may not buy quite as many pieces, but they will buy.

Trusted Contributor

@Anniecamp wrote:

I don't think that it's because people don't want it anymore as much as it is they don't want to pay high prices for junk.  I'm not going to pay a hundred dollars for a piece of plastic held on my a string, or even wimpy leather for that matter.

Also, "statement" necklaces have been overdone.  Just too many.  They are hard to store, and too memorable.  You can't mix and match them with other things for the most part.  Again, most are plastic.

The prices charged for diamond "dust" are outrageous.  I also don't want silicone filled gold pieces.  Hallow is better, because at least the value is there as far as the weight, and meltdown value.  I like "honest gold"!

There will always people who are willing to pay for quality, not overpriced dum/bdowned junk.  They may not buy quite as many pieces, but they will buy.

Want depends on age, and the under 30s don't want the expensive stuff.  Study after study shows that they'd rather spend their $$ on travel, food, convenience items and entertainment, and they'll cut corners on clothing, furniture and other consumer goods.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Since decent quality gold jewelry is prohibitive for most now, I have no problem with sterling. At least its quality has not been adulterated.

I only wear silver, and have for a very long time.

Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I'm wearing what my husband calls my 'signature piece' a half carat diamond cluster pendent set in 10k gold.  I bought it two years ago from rocks for less than $300.00.  The (approximate) equivalent sold at the Q for close to $800.00

J322013

QVC doesn't sell any 10k gold.

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I'm wearing what my husband calls my 'signature piece' a half carat diamond cluster pendent set in 10k gold.  I bought it two years ago from rocks for less than $300.00.  The (approximate) equivalent sold at the Q for close to $800.00

J322013

I'm aware of that..why do you think I used the word, approximate?

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

J322013

QVC used to because I own a couple of pieces.

Black Hills Gold is also a combo. of 10k/12k. 

Trusted Contributor

Well I will say this, I am getting sick and tired of seeing clothing, shoes, handbags and the like for the last 5 days or so. I don't know how anyone can watch this stuff on a regular basis.

Honored Contributor

I don't watch any of the jewelry/clothes channels anymore..all over priced ,etc.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."