Trusted Contributor

Re: Home Security Cameras

[ Edited ]

I don't like systems that are quirky or that don't do a good enough job because the company is planning on eventually rolling out a new and improved system to get you to buy it all over again.  We looked into both the Ring and Blink and they both had their drawbacks that were significant enough to say no.  We read the questions people asked on the TSV page and the answers by existing customers.  It was very informative and around 20 questions at least for each model. 

Honored Contributor

There is a thread about these cameras in the 'Home' forum here and there was mention of another brand that a person liked, but I cannot remember the name.

This is an area where I would truly do my research.  He bought them on a whim, and i really wish he hadn't.  We got them on my phone but were never able to get them on his iPhone.  Mine is a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I'm with Sprint as a carrier so my service and my local network are both excellent.

I told him he should be glad he couldn't get the app working on his phone because it would just drive him crazy when home and won't show him anything when he's not home, anyway.

Respected Contributor

Chickenbutt  So am I reading you right, that you cant see your house on the app if you are not there?  Kind of defeats the purpose of security then.  I dont really care if I'm home.  Its when Im not there that I want to see.

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Sorry, I should have been clearer.  If the internet is down, the cameras won't work.  You don't have to keep your computer on, just be sure your router is on and working properly.  Obviously based on some of the posts, not everyone is as big a fan of the Blink and Ring systems, but we have had more complicated (wired) ones that don't work.  We've had nothing but good luck with our systems, but like one of the other posters said - just be sure and research to find something that meets your needs.  There are so many to choose from.  

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Chickenbutt  So am I reading you right, that you cant see your house on the app if you are not there?  Kind of defeats the purpose of security then.  I dont really care if I'm home.  Its when Im not there that I want to see.

Exactly.   if I left my phone at home it would probably pick up at least some things.  I say that because of their lack of dependability.

But as soon as you take your phone outside your home network you get nothing.   i was kind of surprised about that.  I just figured it would go to my Sprint service network but it doesn't.

Funny story (kinda) - One day when my husband came home from work I saw the video and to the left of the screen, coming from the side of my property, I guess, there was this bizarre apparition that blew through the viewing of the video.   I swear, it seemed like some kind of ghost or something.   I did save that video and, after trying a lot of things, was able to get it saved to my computer.

Like many others I've read about online, I really wish you could put the app on your computer and see the videos larger than just on a phone screen.   Maybe one day they will make them do that, as there have been quite a few complaints.

But the fact that you cannot get anything happening when you aren't at home just makes no sense to me at all.   If you worked all day, wouldn't you want to know if somebody breached your property while you weren't home?  I sure would and that would be a very large part of it for me.

Contributor

Re: Home Security Cameras

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

After hearing David's experience - RING woke him at 2:30 AM b/c a deer was in his yard and at 6:30 AM squirrel has taken a liking to his front porch.  That got me to thinking.............for a person who may wake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep - - I def don't want a RING or anything else disturbing my rest.  I have woods behind my house - skunks - raccoons - deer - rabbits.  A burglar is more welcome as long as he's quiet!

I have a Ring doorbell as well and I have my alerts set to not go off unless someone RINGS the doorbell...so I don't think the fox that walked by today at 2:11 AM knows how to do that. It still records all motion outside.

And Chickenbutt is right about the Blink cameras...they are the worst ones I've ever tried and I promptly returned those.

For indoor cameras I prefer the Canary security system - I got mine from Amazon but I think they're sold here also. It stays in Home mode unless I leave the house with my cell phone, then it turns itself on into armed mode automatically until I come back home. I've had the Canary cameras for 3 years and I'm very happy with those. But I still love my Ring doorbell too, and when the Canary cameras bite the dust, I'll probably switch to a Ring security system, the new one they just came out with.

Respected Contributor

Yeah, that doesnt make sense to me at all.  Really, whats the purpose then? I watched the presentations on Sunday and everytime they kept saying " you can see if a package was delivered".  I assumed you wouldnt need to do that if you were home.  Hmmm.  I bought the set for my husband for Xmas, thats very disappointing.  Thank you for the info, I appreciate it

Esteemed Contributor

Our security cameras are monitored by the Security Company that monitors our home. My sister was visiting another State and was able to see what was happening on the outside of the home by looking at her phone which beeps whenever someone comes by.

She can also turn off the security alarm and open the door for her niece to enter.

What I like about this system is if something goes wrong, we wont have to call 911, because that would be taken care of by the company.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden We have the Ring system. We like it and have had no problems with it. We have the floodlights and doorbell. Here are some features we like. 

Both floodlights and doorbell have two way audio

You can set your own perimeter, narrow or wide depending on what you want to see. If you set the perimeter and let’s say you don’t get alerted that the mailman was on your porch, simply widen the perimeter

On the Ring app you can set each device to alert you. However, you can turn off the alerts when you are sleeping if you choose to. 

You can view your house wherever you are through the app. 

There is a Ring neighborhood community on the app where people post their crime videos. We have found this very helpful because we can see what’s happening in our town and where. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

We are discussing adding security cameras, but will not be buying them from a shopping channel.   

After our house was broken into, we had a local company install a system with sensors on all windows and doors, motion detectors in the basement, garage and living areas, along with glass breakage sensors and heat detectors.   My hard wired system has battery backup, so even without power, my system still works.  

With the investment we’ve put into security so far, I want clear, reliable cameras, and I’m only paying for this add on once.   Spend your money on a good system that will be reliable.