Respected Contributor

Re: Home Made Childrens Halloween Costumes

The last time I made my child’s costume, it cost three times what a store bought costume would have, required 3 trips to the craft store, and ate up way more of my time and patience I was willing to sacrifice. I work full time and my child was playing fall baseball. It just wasn’t worth the hassle.

You do you though.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd let the kids pick out their own costume from a store or online if that's what they want. It's their day to go out and have fun. I woudn't want to make it stressful for them by making them put together their own costume if they didn't want to.

Respected Contributor

Depending on what they wanted to be, I sometimes bought and sometimes made costumes.

We used to go to a local bar that had a Halloween party/costume contest every year.  There were some really creative and well-made homemade costumes, but the winner was always someone who had an elaborate store-bought one. I felt the winner should have been someone who was creative and put the work into it. 

Contributor

I always made costumes for my daughters.  It was expensive!  I did make great costumes, though.  I can understand why people want to make their own costumes and why they might not.  To each their own.  I am super crafty, but others aren't into that stuff and that's ok.  

Trusted Contributor

I can hardly recall anyone in my neighborhood who wore a store-bought costume when I was growing up. I remember seeing plastic masks at the 5&10 store but not very many costumes. We loved creating our own and sometimes moms would step in and help, but only if we asked....they didn't want to spoil our fun....we were firemen, ghosts, witches, movie stars (you got to wear your mom's makeup! ) hobos and cowboys. To top it all off, we got candy! We never needed costumes from the store and I never wanted one. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know why this is even an issue.

Make your own, don't make your own.  There is no right or wrong action.

And if this mom was returning the costume, maybe she did decide to make one herself.

Who knows.  *shrug*

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

My son wore a tutu, glittery wings,and a Statue of Liberty crown...he was the Staten Island fairy. Won first place at his office Halloween party a couple of years ago. 😎 his brother would have never had the nerve to do that! 

Trusted Contributor

Thrift stores are always great places to find things to use as part of costumes.