Trusted Contributor

Home Depot website reviews of washers and dryers?

Should I trust the reviews, and does anyone know where they come from?  I see many of them say they are part of a promotion (or something like that).

I'm not sure I can trust the reviews.  Thoughts?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Home Depot website reviews of washers and dryers?

All I can say is a few years back my husband and I purchased an expensive LG washer and dryer from Home Depot.  After two weeks we started having trouble with the washer ~ LOTS of trouble.  The repairman that came out actually told me that I'm doing too much laundry, therefore causing the issues.  I couldn't even get Home Depot to take them back for a store credit, forget about getting our money back.  Worst (and most expensive) experience I ever had with a retailer.  Keep in mind this is just our experience ~ I can't speak for anyone else.  If it were me, I'd shop elsewhere.  Best of luck!

Honored Contributor

I have gone by reviews on Home depot sites and Lowes. Have had some good results and others were plain outright duds.

Get a copy of the new consumer reports magazine August issue. They have a wonderful pretty good indepth article and ratings on many-- many washers/dryers. They give the OK to buy ones and ones to stay away from because of poor reviews and breakage.

I do remember CR listed Speed Queen washers as #1 and LG as #1 for dryers.

Honored Contributor

Prior to purchasing my portable dishwasher, I read Consumer Reports reviews on my model & also the YouTube reviews which shows "real" people showing & telling the pros & cons.

FWIW, I purchase all my large appliances from Sears & get the extended warranty directly from the manufacturer.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I trusted them for some out of the ordinary Kohler bathroom fixtures only available online.  The reviews were not only spot on, the items were a tiny bit less expensive.  Come to think of it, got them the next day which I could not believe.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe what I'm reading. Don't people automatically reach for Consumer Reports when they're considering buying a major appliance? Just reading how they were tested, what they looked for, repair history, etc is enlightening. Also, that gives more meaning to the final ranking.
Respected Contributor

After my experience, I say no.

Three years ago I bought a lawn mower at HD.  I was told that it had a warranty and could be fixed within 12 months.  So at 6 months the lawnmower wouldn't start.  I took it to a place that does their warranty work.  When I picked it up I was told that the warranty wouldn't cover the carbuertor.  Say what.......?  Had to pay $100 to get it fixed.  This after I paid $400 for it just 6 six earlier.  So I went to HD website and attempted to write a review of the lawnmower and explain my situation.  The website REFUSED my rating because "it was negative".  So I did some research on other websites and found that many many people were having the same problem with that particular mower, but not one single review of the problem showed up on the HD website.

Esteemed Contributor

I would never shop at Best Buy or Home Depot ---- both get BAD reviews. I prefer Lowes - and when I had a problem with a brand new washing machine that I purchased there - they replaced it immediately. I purchased their extended warranties on my washer/dryer (3 additional years) and it was only $99. I did have to use it.l

Esteemed Contributor

I was always told that the first 12 months of a warranty was covered by the manufacturer of the appliance NOT by the store that sold it.  If you buy a extended warranty for say three years only the second and third years are actually the store's responsibility.  THe first year is always covered by the manufacturer of the item so if the warranty is used during the first year it is the manufacturer responsibility and it does not matter where you bought it.  I bought a extended warranty on a refrigerator from HH Gregg.  WHen I had problems after 6 months and called HH Gregg they referred me directly to the manufacturer (LG) to handle my warranty issue.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

Should I trust the reviews, and does anyone know where they come from?  I see many of them say they are part of a promotion (or something like that).

I'm not sure I can trust the reviews.  Thoughts?

No matter where you buy a product (appliance) you should check a number of sources for overall feedback.  It's not the fault of Home Depot, but they may only accept certain reviews.  I attempted to place a not so kind re

*Call Tyrone*