Honored Contributor

Home Depot Confirms Hack; Cyber Attack Could Affect Customer Credit Cards

Oh, oh {#emotions_dlg.scared}

We were just talking about this danger earlier.

NEW YORK (AP) — Home Depot confirmed on Monday that its payment systems have been hacked in a data breach that could affect millions of shoppers who used credit and debit cards at its more than 2,000 U.S. and Canadian stores.

The breach could turn out to be one of the biggest in history. Home Depot did not say how many cards might be affected, but the largest U.S. home improvement chain did say its investigation into the breach goes as far back as April.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/08/home-depot-hacked-breach-credit-debit-cards_n_5786840.html

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

Re: Home Depot Confirms Hack; Cyber Attack Could Affect Customer Credit Cards

Honored Contributor

On 9/8/2014 ivanatrump said:

It's already been posted.

http://community.qvc.com/forums/viewpoints/topic/468646/check-your-bank-accounts-for-fraudulent-act...

Oh, sorry. I looked and didn't see anything about Home Depot.

Super Contributor

I've been checking my accounts and nothing unusual so far *knock on wood*

Honored Contributor

That's ok.........Sometimes it takes two threads to get our attention! I've been spreading the word. Thanks!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Yes, my account was flagged because of a 500.00 charge to an online video game site called

steampowered.com. First a purchase for one dollar and some change, followed by the 500.00 one. I think it is related to this, but the bank told me they couldn't say yet. My card was canceled immediately. Thank you credit card company for maintaining a fairly sophisticated algorithm to monitor for fraud.

Honored Contributor

On 9/8/2014 skuggles said:

Yes, my account was flagged because of a 500.00 charge to an online video game site called

steampowered.com. First a purchase for one dollar and some change, followed by the 500.00 one. I think it is related to this, but the bank told me they couldn't say yet. My card was canceled immediately. Thank you credit card company for maintaining a fairly sophisticated algorithm to monitor for fraud.

That happened to me, too, but from a different credit card. I'm glad they caught the fraud for you!
Honored Contributor

On 9/8/2014 ------ said:

I've been checking my accounts and nothing unusual so far *knock on wood*

Good! This can happen with any card. I hope they will all start using the chip right away, that would help.
Honored Contributor

On 9/8/2014 ROMARY said:

That's ok.........Sometimes it takes two threads to get our attention! I've been spreading the word. Thanks!

Thank you, ROMARY Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I've shopped there so many times during this period...Just as I had shopped at Target when they had their breach.

With Target, my bank made me get a new debit card. I wonder if the same thing will happen with Home Depot?

Maybe I'll start spending more of my money at small,local shops...not that there are many of them left....